Checking machine before putting to work and put stabilizer down and then she started up very slowly. Got to this point and it won’t go anymore. Of note my swing to right and left was sticky as well. Not sure if that is an indicator of a bigger problem. Tried pushing with bucket of tractor - no luck. Here are pics of hydraulic lines - look good. I did notice the manifold for the stabilizer looks like it didnt fully retract. I am not sure if I should be seeing the pin. Circled in picture. Hydraulic fluid is full. Thanks for any suggestions. Tim
Does it sound like the hydraulics are straining but it just won't move? My dad's 555D does the same thing on one of the stabilizers. Sometimes it'll go up like normal and sometimes it won't. Always goes down normally. We figured there must be something stuck in the valve but never took it apart to find the problem. It's been doing it for years and doesn't seem to get any better or any worse.
Yes, it was straining and then just stopped. I am hesitant to put it down and then not being able to retract at all. When I try and pull it back nothing. Sounds like I need to take the valve apart? Not sure where to begin with that breakdown. Thanks
Disconnect the hoses on the hydraulic cylinder and see if that will let the stabilizer move. Support the stabilizer first to prevent getting a bath ! A floor jack and some blocking is what I have used when doing that.
Possible that your piston broke free from the rod.
Not sure i did the correct disconnection. didn’t get any movement. Here are the pics and the bath that i caused. My fault on that one.
Remove the pin from the cylinder rod eye. If the stabilizer moves you will need to repair the cylinder. If it doesn't one or both of the stabilizer mount pins are seized.
So I need a wrench/tool to get this collar off first? Then pull the pin out and try to move the stabilizer after the pin is removed. If that fails then the pins holding the stabilizer to the machine are frozen, that’s the next step to fix. Since the hoses sprayed fluid all over id say the pump works for this stabilizer. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the help.
I would remove the rod pin...support the stabilizer! If the stabilizer pin is frozen, it will not move. If it is in the cylinder, the rod will not move when you extend/retract, after the rod pin on the stabilizer is out. Note: Be sure to reattach the 2 hoses to the cylinder. I saw you had them off in a pic. The gland nut you pictured is for cylinder disassembly.
The pump is obviously fine if the rest of the hydraulics on the machine work. On ours, I'm guessing a valve or hose issue because the pump/engine audibly strain when trying to lift the stabilizer, but somehow it is not allowing the fluid to return through the valve. If we rapidly pull and release the lever over and over it'll come up 1/4" at a time, instead of just dead heading when holding the valve.
You should have the engine shut off before you ever put wrench those lines. Then the hydraulic pump has no effect on that or any of the other cylinders. Next you need to work the control lever several times - full stroke from up to down. That will relieve any pressure in the lines. If you don’t support the stabilizer like I posted earlier you will get an oil bath every time.
Mater and Tinkerer - I did try to rapidly pull the lever over and over. She goes down but there is a strain and sounds like coming from pump up front in the machine. I did discover a new leak in the front that doesn’t look good. I have a new hydraulic oil cooler so thats not leaking, at least I hope! Pic attached - today is brush hog the trails. I will support the stabilizer - I have some 12x12 larch beam scrap left over from a project. That should hold. Thanks again fellas!
It could be the hydraulic pump shaft seal leaking. It's a poor design because dirt that falls off the back of the bucket can go through the grille and end up getting on and under the pump. Ours is leaking, I bought a seal kit for it but haven't yet taken the time to pull the pump out to fix it... Check the u joints on the shaft that turns the pump also. They were getting pretty loose on ours and it would be bad if those let go.
If the pin for a stabilizer is seized could make the pump strain. You need to do like Tinkerer said and take the pin out of the rod end of the cylinder to take the cylinder out of the equation. The stabilizer should freely move up and down with the cylinder disconnected. You could use a jack or come-a-long if it's too heavy but it should move easily.
So I tried again to move the stabilizer. I then moved the loader up and down. Unfortunately the hydraulic light blinked on and then off. I think I need to fix that first. manual states that is a critical fix if the light goes on. It only went on and then off as IO raised the loader up and down. Tried to recreate with the hoe but she swung and opended and extended without issue, unlike last time. My plan is to change the hydraulic filter and assess and find the front leak.
So, did you remove the rod eye pin and see if the the stabilizer is siezed ?
I can’t get the clip off to remove the pin! Cut the ring? Tried snap ring pliers. Prying with a flat screwdriver, will wear better gloves next time!
These work good. Got mine from ebay. see below. Wilde 9" Right Angle 90 Degree Lock Ring Pliers Snap Retaining Satin Finish USA 85432084729 | eBay View all Wilde Ring Pliers HERE. A 90 degree Right angle tip for hard to reach areas. To top it off these pliers will have the smoothest spring back action of any Lock Spring pliers you have used and proudly made in the USA! www.ebay.com
Before I finally got a decent snap-ring pliers like the one in Swetz’s link I have removed them with a couple of screwdrivers by prying one side out and up. Then pound another screwdriver in next to it, then keep doing that and it will come out of the groove. Wear safety glasses !!!
Thank you! Will get the pin out.
Fellas here’s my update!! I got the clips off. Removed both sides the pin didn’t budge. Pounded with sledge. I replaced the zerk and gave her some grease. It’s metric zerks! Anyway, I hit it with a bunch of PB blaster will circle back and see if I can get it loose. What’s next step if I can’t push the pin out?
Heat. Lots of heat.
Beating on when it won't move will cause it to swell and you will never get it out. Prolly too late already. The problem is where it is seized. Definitely in the stabilizer. Or the rod eye also ???? If all three contact points of the pin are seized you will need two rose bud torches to get enough heat to release the pin. I think you will eventually need a 7 inch grinder and some cut off blades to cut the pin into three pieces. A thermal lance would be the easiest way to get it out.
Gotcha on the heat and the eventual grinder. I only own a bernzomatic torch, so guess I need to find a buddy with a torch!!
If all the hydraulic hoses are still hooked up try lifting and lowering the stabilizer a little. If you did get some grease in, turning the pin (hydraulically) may help distribute the grease and loosen the pin a little. If you had some help they could try to pump grease in while you were lifting and lowering the stabilizer. I got grease into a king pin this way. Even with heat lifting and lowering may help.
Have you removed the grease zerk and run a drill bit in the hole to remove any crap from it ? After doing that, a port-a-power pump can be hooked up and they sometimes will force oil in to the pin.
The whole reason he's doing this is because it won't go up....
Will it go down even a little and then back up where it was? Just a little movement will help get some grease in to loosen it. Getting some grease in and working it might get a wider range of movement.
You could try removing the pin form the barrel end- retract the cylinder enough and see if you can rotate the cylinder. Then you will know exactly whether it is the pin in the rod eye or if it is the stabilizer holes where it is bound up.
Just don’t get crushed by removing anything. When that thing moves, it’s probably gonna move. I find it hard to believe it’s a frozen pin but if it is, it’s probably going to have to be cut or lanced out.
Does this tractor use lock valves on the outriggers or no?
Ours doesn't. Not sure about Duke's. Edit: I suppose I should say I don't think it does. There is no little box mounted on the cylinder like other lock valves I've seen.
Some are mounted remotely inside the mainframe
Setteduke removed the hoses from the cylinder and outrigger didn’t move. Unless I missed something in my reading.
Tinkerer you are right. I removed the hoses and she didn’t budge. Tried pushing with bucket of tractor - Ford 2120 and just started to lift the machine. I will be there tomorrow and will remove the other pin. I can support cylinder with tractor/chains and strapping. ill be careful. Thanks!
If you can remove one of the cylinder pins you should be able to retract the cylinder manually and lay it on the outrigger. If you cannot retract it there is an internal problem with the cylinder. I am curious if the big outrigger pin on the the tractor frame is the culprit. Usually they get loose as a goose from a lack of grease.
Wonder if the bolt holding the ram got loose and jammed the cylinder up. Have only seen that once and there was an obvious bulge on the cylinder. Where he was lifting the machine up by pushing up on the stabilizer, that I never heard of.
Harley Happy. I took the bucket of the tractor and placed under the pad of the stabilizer. Had my son try lift the stabilizer up while I pulled the bucket up. Stabilizer didn’t move and it started to lift the Backhoe, so I immediately backed off. I didn’t get to removing the pin this weekend. Got a long honey to do list! The joys of marriage.
Do leave us in the ditch. I’m so curious, what could jam a hydraulic cylinder up that operates on 2500 psi. When you had the lines hooked up and trying to move it, could you hear the relief valve bypassing?
Is the other end loose? If it is, pull the whole thing and take it somewhere with a big press.
HarleyHappy - when I pull back on lever to pull up no real noise at all. VeTech 63 - here is picture of the valve unit. One circled in red feeds the outrigger I am in WV working with some of my team and will get back to you guys on Friday when I troubleshoot. One concern - when I remove the pin from the tractor connection I am worried about wrecking the metal hydraulic line. i just néed to support and swing off once I get that pin loose?
A block of wood close under the cylinder close to the end the steel pipe should prevent any damage to it. Provided that the stabilizer cannot drop.
Did you remove the hoses from the cylinder when you jacked it up?
I have never seen an outrigger stuck that badly by rust alone........especially pulling on it with the hoe bucket. Something isn't right with this whole thing.
I think you have a valve problem if you’re not hearing a pressure relie valve bypassing when you’re trying it. Try the other side that works and try raising it up, after it’s all the way up. It should almost stall the motor out. Are you getting that on the stuck side?