Hello, I started out with a post in another thread but decided to move it here in the hope it will catch a little more attention. Copy from the original post: Hello, I have a relative who ran the engine in his 555 without oil and is wondering what to do next. He was looking to sell it before he did this and he is not in a position to lay out a pile of cash anytime soon. (I know, he shouldn't have done it but it’s too late for that!) He ran it at idle for “10-15 minutes” until it started making enough noise to grab his attention and shut it down. It will crank over. But he has not started it since. That being said I would like to know roughly what would need to be done. Best and worst case…I wish I could give more details but that is all I have right now. What should I check to determine the damage done without disassembly? I have seen ads for rebuilt engines approx $4000.U.S. and kits for rebuilding approx $670. U.S. when I did a quick internet search today. The engine was new when he bought it about 1600 hours ago. 5500hrs on machine. The rest of the unit is in good shape and was earning its keep shortly before this happened. I am interested if the total price is right to get it running again. I certainly don’t need any lawn ornaments…..not that there’s anything wrong with them. I prefer iron that I can earn a living with. Thanks in advance. Phil’s reply in the original post..Thanks for the info Phil. Digg, Might be a buying opportunity. I think you can count on the crankshaft having to be reground. There is always the chance that it has heat cracks, or can't be reground anymore. Best to get a price on a used crankshaft and always figure the worst. Might need another used connecting rod, the one that's hammering, or at least figure the cost to have all 4 checked for a true bore. Pistons may not be scored, hard to say, everything else may be alright and just need a check. Others should add to this because I have not torn down many engines with this particular problem. Phil
I think the information Phil gave you pretty much covers it.
I looked at the backhoe today. I got a good look at the backhoe today. I always get reminded of the difference in opinion between individuals in situations such as this. The Good: It is a B model Both trans fluids looked good The loader and hoe did not appear to have any cracks or weld repairs. The tires are pretty new all around. It has a 4-in-1 bucket. All of the hyd. lines, hoses, and rams looked good. The bad (that I saw): The engine has been pushing oil or fuel out of the exhaust. Not a new problem. All of the pivot joints closest to the front tires looked to be missing a bushing. The swing ram connections were loose enough that I was able to push the pin out of one side. The pin appeared to be a large bolt that had been "retrofitted" to this use. Not the proper size either. One of the lower pins at the front bucket was sheared between the arm and bucket. The thought that went through my mind about the pins was "If he didn't grease the easy ones, how about the hard to reach fittings?" I was interested in dropping the oil pan to see which bearing was seized to try and size up the damage done by lack of engine oil but It looked like I would have to loosen two large nuts on the forward end to release the pan. Is that correct? I left with mixed feelings. As usual there was more work to be done than was eluded to in the beginning. I know there are usually more things to fix than the seller thinks need to done. I am less interested now that I saw the leak at the exhaust. Bad: injector/rings/head?????? Expensive fix? Would it be heading towards a completely rebuilt engine due to this? I am the one that has to make the ultimate decision but I encourage any input. Thanks
I would walk away from it. Sounds like this unit has never been maintained and judging by the oil incident backs that up. I think it would cost you as much to repair that unit as it would to buy a decent used unit.
I'd be inclined to walk away from it too. Does he have a price or do he want an offer? Nothing worse than someone who neglects a machine. Just when you get the engine rebuilt and running, you might find countless other things wrong with it. Phil
Don't walk RUN ! there is a lot of iron in decent shape going cheap these days. From what you already know it is a parts machine at best. Look around and you are sure to find something you can put right to work without a bunch of repairs.
I hear you gents, Thanks for the input. I always like to sleep on a decision like this after I have cleared my head a bit. His asking price is $5000 but I'm sure I could have worked on that. It seemed at the beginning that it may have been worth the stretch to put it all together. I was not looking for a backhoe but I would be able to use one if I had it reasonably. For now I am going to take your advice and run.