Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555 hydraulic screen

Clawed Backster ยท 2022-09-30 16:50

My old backhoe has been working OK, but lately the hydraulic pump has started growling, so I quit using it until I could look into the problem. I replaced the filter, and took the outlet pipe out of the bottom of the hydraulic tank to check out the screen. As you can see in these pictures, it is not a pretty sight. I am hoping that the pump hasn't been damaged. Anyone know of a good place to look for a replacement screen, without having to turn to the $$$New Holland$$$ dealer?

Replies5
  1. #1Clawed Backster2022-09-30 17:17

    Got 'er cleaned up, but I don't see a part number on it.

  2. #2jimg9842022-09-30 17:33

    ebay and amazon , for cheaper replacement pumps, your shold be OK after clean up good luck

  3. #3NH575E2022-09-30 22:13

    Look up the part number and put it in the search on eBay. I use the advance search. Put the part number in, check the buy it now box, check USA only, then use dropdown at the bottom to price, lowest first.

  4. #4Clawed Backster2022-09-30 23:05

    As collapsed as the screen was, I figured that it was probably torn, or split open, but it is not. I cleaned it up, but I didn't really try to straighten it out very much. Besides the screen being kind of bent out of shape, it seems to be in good condition. I am just going to reassemble things, and call it good. The backhoe is just my old worn out farm machine, so cheap is good. It gets little use, and I definitely don't try to make a living with it.

  5. #5Tinkerer2022-10-01 10:53

    The collapsed screen has a greatly reduced surface area to filter crap from getting to the pump. Not a good thing. It will plug quite quickly and quite possibly get a hole in it from the high vacuum. I have seen it happen. That can badly damage the pump.