Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555 starter removal

Clawed Backster ยท 2022-07-16 13:43

Starter went belly up (actually I think it is just the solenoid), and I got it all unhooked, but I can't remember how to physically get the starter out. I do remember that it is nearly impossible, but not quite. There is a large hard hydraulic line right below it that prevents me from being able to tip it down, and I can't remember if it will come out without having to drain the hydraulics, and take that line loose. Anyone here remember stuff like that?

Replies4
  1. #1Clawed Backster2022-07-16 18:13

    Sorry about the duplicate thread. I was having trouble connecting to the site earlier, and well yeah.........

  2. #2Clawed Backster2022-07-16 18:20

    Also, I see on eBay that there is a gear reduction starter offered that supposedly fits my machine. It doesn't have the long snout that protrudes into the bell housing, so it would seemingly be MUCH easier to install. Anyone know if that is a viable option? The machine is a basic 555, I believe. Not an A,B,C, etc.

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-07-16 20:07

    The long snout may be necessary so that the Bendix drive travels in far enough to engage the ring gear.

  4. #4Clawed Backster2022-07-16 20:32

    Yeah, I was wondering about that. Seems like if the gear did come out far enough to fully engage the flywheel teeth, there would be a tremendous side load on the gear without the snout to support the shaft.