I have a Ford 555A,it has good power when your digging or grading ,but when you take it out on the road ,a hill kills it ,it is putting a pull on the motor . the brakes are`nt sticking. Any advice would be appriciated. Thanks Steve
It weighs around 14,000 lbs, and has 60 hp. High gear is made to give you all the speed 60hp can move that weight, so when you add in a hill, it slows down. If it is worse than it used to be, check your air and fuel filters first. Then move on to compression, fuel system, etc.
Your machine was built with a high stall converter. Most likely it still has one. Like Mitch said, it's not made to road race in the hills but it should eventually get going on flat ground. The good news is that the high stall converter makes it harder to tear up the shuttle, but it can frustrate the h#*l out of you sometimes.
As has been said, they're not real fast on hills. .at least mine isn't. I got real used to downshifting as soon as there's a hint of black smoke out of the exhaust. Also, you might replace the transmission filter, that seems to have helped with mine.
ol' grump I have a 555a ford I never have changed the transmission filter, where is it located?
May be on the left side bell housing between the loader frame and trans case. I think you have to climb up under it to get to it.
The filter is on the left side underneath between the battery box/step and transmission close to the battery box. It's a spin on type but I can't remember the NAPA number offhand.
thanks to both of you
Don't expect to roar up hills with ease after that filter is changed, there's only so much power in that 3 cylinder engine. The main thing I noticed was there seemed to be less "slippage" in the various gears, particularly at lower engine speeds. It won't make any difference in digging ability, that's a different circuit.
The NAPA 1189 is the filter number for the transmission. Got out to the shop yesterday and that's what I had written down.
thank you for the NAPA filter part number
Steve, This question isn't on point but you are too new to use PM's. I am looking at possibly buying a Ford 555 and I was wondering if you had any thoughts on the current value of your tractor.
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/list.aspx?manu=FORD&mdltxt=555&catid=1046
I'm still laughing. Those descriptions are priceless. I can't decide which one I like best. "has all forward gears, no reverse", "we feel the customer was telling the truth" or "has a new battery and new rear pistons." If you have to work on it, $2,500 to $5,000. In your area they go for more money so if its clean and you don't have to work on it, $5,000 to <$10,000. Those dealers didn't buy for more than half their asking price and more like one third for the basket cases.