Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

how do you remove rear axle on cat 416 backhoe 1988

ksauto1 ยท 2014-09-15 13:59

The outer rear axle seal is leaking bad and I want to replace it. How do you remove the rear axle?? I looked in parts catalog and it looks like you need to take rear end apart-I hope not. THANKS for any help!!

Replies5
  1. #1Mobiltech2014-09-15 14:36

    Yes you have to remove the whole rear axle assembly then split it at the diff . There is a bolt that holds the axle shaft into the housing from the inside.

  2. #2lantraxco2014-09-15 14:38

    I have found that if you just drive a 416 around for a while, parts fall off by themselves.... no offense, YMMV.

  3. #3mitch5042014-09-15 22:18

    Yeah, but are they the right parts?

  4. #4lantraxco2014-09-15 23:16

    LOL, maybe not, but I bet they are all spendy parts!

  5. #5excavator2014-09-16 00:33

    If I remember right, the rear axle in the Cat 416 & 426 backhoes are a Ford axle. If you look on the end of the axle shaft you will see a Ford part number. Don't know if Ford/New Holland parts are any cheaper than Cat but it might be worth a try.