Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555B Backhoe

xp190 ยท 2014-05-26 16:33

Hi Everyone First time poster here and new member, although I have been following all your posts for a while being a big fan of fixing up old machines. I have an opportunity to get my hands on a Ford 555B backhoe. I don't need it for business, or anything, just for my own interests and projects. I have a property and a small forest that I like to build trails on and different things, and I always though it would be super handy to have a backhoe, some years go by and a friend wants to get rid of one he got for prepping his new piece of land. The machine is a Ford 555B backhoe, it's worn, but not worn out. It has a new engine, I witnessed it start up like a charm, I have yet to see it work, but I'm being told its very jittery due to wear, but still capable. I'm no expert on backhoes, I know cars, and tractors and love em all, but a backhoe is much much bigger at the moment. I looked it over, but I have not seen it work yet, I'll make another stop at the friends place and ask him if I can try it out, but even if I do, I'm not sure what to look for, which is why I'm here. I know the gauges don't work in the cabin, I think when the glass was missing rain got on it and probably fried them, nothing I wouldn't be able to fix. The hour meter stopped at 4xxxx hours, it was hard to make it out. I have some pictures I am attaching to this thread and I'm hoping I could get some opinions on what it could be worth. My friend bought it for $10K (Canadian), he told me to make him an offer, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable going even to half of what he paid for it. There are signs of leaks, and I think the original engine overheated, the rad is all clogged up with dirt, and since it hasn't been cleaned, this new one might have suffered too, but it starts and there was no smoke on start up. I'm being told that you need to run it for a half hour and then when it warms up see if it smokes or not. I also hear these machines are very solid and built to last forever if not abused, I would do some R&R on it to get rid of any leaks so it can sit quietly and be ready for use. In either case, I'm interested to hear your opinions while I keep looking over any material I find for this machine. Appreciate your input xp

Replies2
  1. #1xp1902014-05-26 16:35

    Remaining pictures: xp

  2. #2Gooseidi2014-05-26 22:45

    In the States, that machine is pretty common. I can get my hand on a 2wd non-extenda hoe for $6-8,000 US. I am not well versed on working on these so I would most likely steer away form one with many ailments. I do know that the Ford backhoes are quite powerful and hold their own compared to similar sized machines of other makes. The extenda hoe and new engine may very well hold some merit on that machine's value, especially in Canada. Geography plays a big role in the value of cars, trucks, and I would assume equipment. I am interested in what others will say about this, good luck with it if it pans out.