Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 410 Axle

dgoodman ยท 2014-05-27 14:17

I am about to break into rear end on 70's john deere 410 backhoe. Diagnosis: Something broke, only way tractor will move is with differential lock engaged. Left tire only one that has power. Yet when lifted up, the Left wheel feels the same as the right one. Broke Axle or Planetary Gears? Repair: Book says Backhoe assembly has to be removed, but have heard that it may not. What is the real answer here, sure would be nice to not have to do that part? Anyone have a step by step to getting into the differential, axle, planetary gears, etc. Thanks to all Joined this forum today,

Replies4
  1. #1Tinkerer2014-05-28 07:02

    Here is a link to a similar problem in a John Deere. HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2Awhelan2014-05-28 09:43

    I'd start by pulling the seat and floor pans then pull the top cover on the tranny/diff. Here's my 1980 410 Also the rear axles can be removed with the hoe still attached, you just have to move one brace and the housings will just squeeze out. There's a few threads on it here. I'm doing one rite now and I did one last fall.

  3. #3dgoodman2014-05-28 13:50

    410 Axle Ok, so I leave the hoe on the machine. That is great news. Do I remove the axle housing with the axle still in it and then remove? Is there a pin that lets it go, etc. If it is broke gears - does the axle have to be removed? Thanks Guys

  4. #4Awhelan2014-05-29 12:02

    You should prob. find your serial # so we can determine your exact model. It should be on the frame just above the front axle. If it was me I'd be pulling the top cover first to inspect and its also easier to get the axles out with the with the seat and floor out. On mine (i'm assuming yours is similar) the axle, planetary, and housing all come out together. This is the only pic I can find of the Axle assy. out. If you do search on here for "410" or some variation of that i'm sure there's a post with step by step instructions for removing an axle. Thats where i got my info.