Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555b transmission help needed

anlricks ยท 2011-09-29 12:55

Just bought a 1986 555b. The hoe will not move foward or back when it warms up. The guy I bought her from has replaced the clutches, torque converter, and tried several other things. Anyone had this problem? Any help greatly appreciated.

Replies34
  1. #1anlricks2011-09-29 12:59

    Anyone have Service Repair Shop Manual for the Ford 555b backhoe, or know where I can find a downloadable version online?

  2. #2motrack2011-09-29 15:34

    If it moves ok when cold and fails to when warm most likely a pump issue. Plumb a PSI guage to it and see if its in spec. Check e bay for manual.

  3. #3jimg9842011-09-29 16:38

    hard to believe that much work has been one......sounds like electric solinod vave is hung open........... this is the switch on the the front dump lever handle and also with the brakes to stop movement when dump a load

  4. #4anlricks2011-09-29 16:43

    He also replaced the hydrolic pump...he put thousands into it but still not moving. He got tired of fooling with it and sold it to me cheap. Thanks for the info

  5. #5anlricks2011-09-29 16:51

    555b here is a picture of the 555b

  6. #6anlricks2011-09-29 18:50

    Here is a correct list of things he has done. new trans. pump; new tourque converter;new sealing rings;new clutches on reverse side and rerouted around the dump valve.am tired of trying 2 figure out.

  7. #7jimg9842011-09-29 19:09

    looks like 555A,,, i have the XL boom,,, the trans dump vavle is internal how could that be by passed? these are good strong machines

  8. #8motrack2011-09-29 21:23

    you still did not answer my question. Does it move ok when cold or not?

  9. #9anlricks2011-09-29 21:25

    I dont know anything about the ford. I had a Case 480E. Just bought this one to have a winter project.

  10. #10anlricks2011-09-29 21:36

    I just talked to the guy I bought it from it is at his place. It moved slugshily for a while when cold then it totaly quit moving

  11. #11DirtIsMyName2011-09-30 08:41

    Routed around? Ewww. Get the schematics and do every pressure test ever specified. Don't waste your time. Even if you get it to go it may self destruct if all of the pressures are not right.

  12. #12anlricks2011-09-30 21:33

    I just talked to the guy I bought it from it is at his place. It moved slugshily for a while when cold then it totaly quit moving

  13. #13oldseabee2011-09-30 22:48

    You can go to local Ford/New Holland dealer and order shop manual. That's the way I got the manual for my 555A.

  14. #14anlricks2011-10-01 01:46

    Foud a manual on ebay today. Thanks all

  15. #15anlricks2011-10-05 16:10

    Just got the Repair Manual in today I ordered off ebay. Think It is the Transmission Dump Valve Solenoid, Anyone have a line on Ford parts reasonably priced? Thanks

  16. #16anlricks2011-10-05 16:23

    Anyone needing any info out of the manual I just bought let me know I will be glad to scan and email.

  17. #17carlsharp2011-10-05 16:29

    I dunno if they have that part but Yesterday's Tractor has got some pretty good prices and selection even for tractors that are not that old. Also they sell the same aftermarket parts (Tisco) that you find at the Ford/NH/CNH dealers for lots less. Most stuff I get next day, there must be a warehouse nearby. http://www.ytmag.com/parts/

  18. #18anlricks2011-10-05 16:29

    Got manual in today. Think It is the transmision dumo valve solenoid.

  19. #19anlricks2011-10-05 16:32

    Thanks for the info

  20. #20trevor b2011-10-05 19:25

    look up joseph industries if you have part# you can check on line for stock good prices fast serice TB

  21. #21jimg9842011-10-05 20:30

    that part will be a dealer item,,,,,,, http://www.messicks.com/,,,,,,,,,could be in the controls for the dump (transmission by pass valve) as by my previos post switch on lever for front bucket,,,brake pedal and maybe a foor switch on floor board i'm sure a person with knowage to rebuild the items that you posted would know about this transmission by pass valve

  22. #22anlricks2011-10-06 11:51

    555b Backhoe Dump Valve I have narrowed down a problem with my 555b backhoe to the Dump valve not working. Can anyone tell me how to tell if the tractor has a syncronazed transmision or not. New Holland has two diffrent one and need to know if it is or not Thanks anlricks, I merged this post and the next post by jimg984 from a new thread you had started with this thread. The subject of your post is directly related to this thread that you have already started and did not need a new thread. Please avoid starting new threads concerning a topic you are already working with at another thread as it causes info to be separated and near impossible for readers to follow. Thanks, Willie59

  23. #23jimg9842011-10-06 20:16

    the dump/transmission bypass valve is the hydruaic flow valve,,, not the gears,,, you seem to be missing my points about this is problem

  24. #24anlricks2011-10-09 00:17

    Picked up the hoe today. the poor guy I bought her from spent thousands on rtepairs. I crawled under her and found the wires to the dump valce sylinoid were cut. Going to hook them up tomorrow. I think this will solve the issue of no movement.

  25. #25snow2011-10-10 20:04

    Was it the dump valve sylinoid?

  26. #26anlricks2011-10-10 23:54

    Not sure yet. Just got her home. Sure think so. All the wiring to it and to the lever and floor switch was all cut away. Instead of fixing this problem the previous owners great mechanic broke the tractor and bypassed the dump valve somehow. Now I hav to break it apart again and undo that and then replace the sylinoid and wiring.

  27. #27jimg9842011-10-11 02:16

    i think what was by passed would be the controls [foot switch, and dump lever switch] also the for wiring for controls,, i would say its impossible to bypass internal on that solenoid valve...........you need someone with knowledge to trouble shoot that solenoid valve,,,,,,,,,as i said from the start hard to believe that someone with enough knowledge to replace those parts would miss a solenoid valve that controls movement,,,,, this a shuttle shift from forward to reverse?????

  28. #28anlricks2011-10-11 08:52

    Thanks I said the same thing the guy he was paying to work on it wound up selling him a newer backhoe. Think this was his intention the whole time. I have ordered a new sylinoid, all the wiring is trashed guess ill oreder that and replace it all maby ill have her moving again if they didn't mess something else up.

  29. #29Steveh2011-12-09 20:49

    I have a 1986 555b. Runs fine when it's cold, gets hot, dumps the hydraulic fluid out of the bell housing. What could be my problem?? Need help ASAP. Thanks!

  30. #30willie592011-12-09 21:28

    Welcome to the forum Steveh. If you have fluid coming from bell housing, likely it's tranny fluid and not hyd fluid as hyd reservoir, pump, and oil cooler is at front of machine. If it's a torque convertor model, which likely it is, could be a number of things that would cause that leak. Sadly, there's no good way to look inside convertor housing to get an idea of what problem is. I think there's a small rectangular cover on bottom of convertor housing, but it doesn't offer much of a view of the innards. And in any case, would likely have to split the tractor to fix the problem.

  31. #31Steveh2011-12-09 23:31

    Thanks willie 59. It looks like they use the hydraulic fluid for tranny fluid for the torque convertor and the clutch packs. I have split the tractor thinking I would see the problem but there's nothing definite that I can see. Maybe the seal on the pump is the problem or the torque convertor is heating up and pushing the fluid out around the seal on the shaft. Thanks!

  32. #32willie592011-12-10 00:02

    That's the problem with those machines, you can't get a good look to tell what the problem is, only know "where" the problem is. So you have to split the tractor. When you do that, replace every seal on every component in that area. And, although it's steel, take a close look at torque convertor. Rarely do steel convertors crack, but if you have the bucks to replace it, do it now while you have the machine in two pieces. And I would look at replacing engine rear crank seal while you have it busted as well.

  33. #33Steveh2011-12-10 07:41

    I am going to get the parts today and put it back together, leave the inspection plates off and run it and see what it does. thanks for all your help, I'll let you know how it goes.

  34. #34fireguy59712012-05-18 11:58

    I have a similar problem. 1988 ford 555b doesn't move in forward or reverse, checked the output pressure at the dump valve and got 150 psi at high or low rpm. The manual states 90 psi at 800 rpm then 135 psi at 1600 rpm then 145-165 psi at 2100 rpm.My pressure seems a bit high but I may not have allowed the trans temp to come up enough. Checked the dump valve and I get action on the spool when the switches are pressed and all the parts visually seem ok. If I'm getting pressure at the dump valve that means my drive plate must be ok and therefore if my oil distributor is working I should be getting pressure to my torque converter. Is it possible for the torque converter to be so badly damaged internally that the machine wont move at all? The transmission fluid looks fine and doesn't smell burnt. Also even if the forward and reversing clutches were worn wouldn't there be some movement in the machine? I purchased the machine in this condition and don't know much about the history. I'll be separating the machine today but I'm not sure how to test the components once i have it apart other than to visually inspect. Just trying to not blindly replacing parts, any ideas would be much appreciated. Tom