I have a Ford 555D Backhoe that I can use for 1-1/2 to 2 hours before it loses power and dies. I can let it sit for an hour or so and it will start right back up and can use it again for 1-1/2 to 2 hours before it does the same thing. I'm thinking it is overheating but there is no boiling over or losing coolant. Any idea if there is a sensor that shuts the machine down before it gets too hot? Also, pins and bushings on the backhoe have quite a bit of play. Any idea where to purchase these? I believe my backhoe is a 1994 or 1996 model. Thank you.
Is the fuel tank venting ?
It has a fuel cap that does not seal tightly. It just sits on top to prevent junk from getting in. I bought a fuel cap previously that was supposed to fit but it did not.
Have you checked the tank, lines, filters for crap in them?
Do you shut this off with the key, or do you pull a knob to shut it off? I've never seen an automatic shut down on a backhoe, I'd think there would be way too many liabilities in that. Assuming you shut it off with the key, find the wire going to the injection pump, and remove it when it shuts off, see if it clicks when you remove and touch it back to the terminal, with key on, then try it again an hour later before you start it.
Welcome to HEF, mrmiller !
Sounds like a fuel filter to me... Had a truck that would do that exact same thing
My 555D came used with a key to turn to the on position and a push-button to start and then turn the key to the off position to stop the engine. I recently changed the oil and fuel filters as well as the starter. There is very little "junk" in the bottom of the glass bowl. I will try your suggestion, Delmer. Thank you, Tinkerer...good to be here and, hopefully, find some answers. Thank you all for your help.
If the key turns the fuel pump on and off check the voltage at the pump for power when it is running and again after it dies. There may be a broken / defective wire.