so, I've got an eaton et1000 hose crimping machine. I need to make hoses for my 580c. I am pretty sure I have figured out what hose and fittings I need, but I like a solid answer from someone who knows. Anyone a tech expert when it comes to hoses/fittings or can point me in the right direction?
There are several different hoses out there. There are kinda rated by the number of wires in the hose. 2, 4, 6 wire hoses for example. Then they make fittings for each of those type hoses. They also make dies and presses for those different ones. Of course there are also the type connector the fitting has. O ring boss, O ring face seal, etc. www.hydraulichoses.com is one place that has some good info. Also, I have been using the 2 wire hose 100r2 for years and it has worked well for me. Tractor hydraulics and log splitters around here all have this type hose. I do buy the correct fittings for my application and crimp them using a hydraulic crimper.
Not sure that that machine is rated for the type of hose you will need to use. Only spec sheet I saw from eaton shows it as used for racing hoses. I would imagine these require a lot less crimp pressure? On the old hose there will be what is called a layline. This is the embossed/printed area running the length of the hose. It will have a spec number (like 100r2 or such) psi, size, and manufacture data. This will tell you what you need to use. Size is often a ‘dash’ number like -8 which is 1/2”. When you find that data you can convert the industry spec to Eaton hose. As your machine uses spacer rings and is not universal you will need to use Eaton fittings and hose. Eaton will have a crimp spec for the combination of machine, hose and fitting if approved for it.
According to the videos eaton has on YouTube it is compatible with U series, Z series, and 430U series hoses. From what I can tell eatons "matchmate" hoses will work. The ratings on those should be just fine for the machine. This machine was previously used to make all sorts of hoses for marine equipment including davits and cranes. I even have a pressure tester right next to it. What gets me is, I saw the same spec sheet referencing racing engines.The video references the U, Z, and 430U HOSE. If you look at eatons website those are FITTINGS, not hoses... so I'm looking at the Z series fittings and compatible hoses. Eatons website also says to contact your local distributor/dealer for technical questions. I would like to find one that has good reviews (knowledgeable) as most of my purchases will be online.. The hydraulic hoses website does have a lot of good info, but I'm not sure their stuff will work on my machine. I've emailed them to find out. As far as lay line with the hose data on... non-existent. Unfortunately, the majority of the hoses have lost their printings. I do have the service and parts manual where they list the hoses needed, with the cut lengths and fitting part numbers, but i haven't been able to convert those to Eaton part numbers/hose types. I will just settle for verifying by thread count and internal hose diameter and ordering what i think i need.
100R2 is almost a universal hydraulic hose for old stuff like this, 100r16 is the same must more flexible, you shouldn't need that but it won't hurt and you should know what it is if you read that somewhere. Here's a video of setting up a et1000-007 for hydraulics, it mentions another video of the one set up for racing hoses, which means high pressure fuel lines to me (much smaller and lower pressure than hydraulic hoses). I'd go through the references in the video and see if yours is the -007 set up for hydraulics or the other one. If it was set for winches, I'd guess it's the right one for hydraulics. Is the pressure tester attached to the crimper? or does it have a separate fluid, pump and hose hookups from the crimper? What PSI range does it cover?
I've got 13 die sets for it as small as 1/4" up to really big. I've also got 9 spacers for it. I bet it is the right crimp machine. The hose tester goes to 10k psi and is a completely separate set up. An example of what I am planning to use is a -12 weatherGrip z series hose end with eatons H280 hose. 3/4 ID 2 wire hose rated for 3500 psi. SAE100R16 rating. 14k psi burst pressure. I do like the idea of a more flexible hose. I might get the stiffer hose for the metal lines that will be replaced by hose.
100r2 (2 wire) hose certainly should be adequate for a 580c. Most of your fittings will be JIC. The first spec sheet I saw on an ET1000 only talked about racing hose. I don't even know what that is, but, I dug deeper: https://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pct_3615329.pdf This is an Eaton guide to choosing a crimper. It says that an ET1000 will do 2 and 4 wire hoses up to -16 (1 inch). The ET1000 looks for all the world like an updated version of my old Weatherhead T450 crimper. There are several manufacturers making Eaton Weatherhead clone fittings. I, my local NAPA, and the one independent industrial supply in my area have all gone to using Couplamatic, just because they are half the price of Weatherhead. I use Weatherhead U series, just because I've never looked at the Z? Be very careful buying fittings that they are for this type of crimper. You just have to be careful that you are using the right dies and ring for the job. Take a dial caliper and check the crimp diameter after it is assembled. I am sure I have made this clear as mud, good luck, Mitch