Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555d diesel in oil….

cotyp92 ยท 2015-04-15 13:55

Have a 555d that fuel is getting in the oil... replaced the injector pump seals already and no fix.. anyway to test the injectors? Runs fine just a little smoke at startup then clears up.

Replies17
  1. #1cotyp922015-04-15 16:35

    Anybody?

  2. #2wrwtexan2015-04-15 16:55

    How much fuel? If an injector were flooding that much, it should have a dead miss to it and raining fuel out the exhaust. Shaft seals and injectors are the only fuel to oil interface on those engines. See if you can stir up thepumpguysc.

  3. #3jimg9842015-04-15 17:05

    could be from lift pump that feeds injector pump

  4. #4cotyp922015-04-15 17:17

    We replaced the seals on the injector pump first hoping that would fix it...it didnt.. its gravity fed from tank no lift pump

  5. #5cotyp922015-04-15 17:19

    Yeah it starts and runs great. Little smoke. Not much.

  6. #6cotyp922015-04-15 17:21

    Also does anyone know where the injector pump timing should be set at? We set it to where it was previously .

  7. #7wrwtexan2015-04-15 23:22

    Static timing is set by turning the body on relation to the shaft. I always scribe them before removal and reset back mark to mark. If not, turn the pump while running with a large pair of offset pliers and tune by ear like ignition on a gasser. You can hear it start to labor at each extreme of the adjustment range. set it where it starts easy and doesn't labor while running. Did you turn the lips on the seals in the correct direction? If turned incorrectly, pressure will push past the seal. The lip always points towards pressure (what little it may be). Last CAV I resealed, I think it had two seals which I turned opposite each other.

  8. #8cotyp922015-04-16 06:18

    Yes we marked the pumped and replaced at the same positions. Starts fine. As far as the pump seals they were put in with the spring side facing the rear of the machine . Both of them .. that's how they were in there originally. Is this wrong?

  9. #9fixou8122015-04-16 07:08

    Does your engine have the fuel return lines under the valve cover. ...they jump to each cylinder. ..seen them come loose.

  10. #10cotyp922015-04-16 07:12

    They are all connected ... injectors are not under the valve cover .

  11. #11cotyp922015-04-16 07:26

    They are all connected ... injectors are not under the valve cover .

  12. #12fixou8122015-04-16 07:32

    Are there 2 lines to each injector or one

  13. #13cotyp922015-04-16 07:34

    2 lines on all but first .. goes from one injector to the next to the next to the next and then return to fuel tank. I took the line loose on the last one and blew air into it and made sure it wasn't clogged going to the tank. But that's as far as I went with that.

  14. #14Tinkerer2015-04-16 08:33

    You didn't answer wrwteaxan's question "How much fuel". Is the oil level rising on the dipstick ? Can you drain oil out of the oil pan drain plug by cracking it loose a couple of turns ?

  15. #15cotyp922015-04-16 09:14

    Yeah the oil level is rising on the dip stick... changed the seals on the injection pump then used for probably 2 hr and it was atleast a quart high. Maybe more

  16. #16gregstorms2015-04-18 16:41

    My 7.3 ford did the same. I was on interstate n heard a pop. Pulled over, looked under hood.. All appeared OK. Drove another 140 miles n it wouldn't restart after I turned engine off. It turned out to be broken injector head, 2 bent can operated push rods and distorted can lobe. I opted for a complete rebuild.

  17. #17GregsHD2015-04-19 12:06

    Does it have a CAV injection pump? I haven't seen one without a lift pump to feed it. Are you positive it's fuel in the oil? Have you checked the power steering oil level? Just a couple thoughts :beatsme