Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580ck won’t differentiate…..

vmaxmike ยท 2015-04-15 08:47

Morning Guys new to this site and hoping for some help. I've got a 580ck that won't differentiate. First off NO this machine doesn't have a Diff-lock. I've pulled the cover off and see nothing wrong, no broken or damaged gears oil looks fine, all three of the spider gears have a small amount of free play and do not appear to be seized to their shafts. With the rear wheels off the ground then one is tire is turned they both move in the same direction and no mount of force can get them to turn independently. As you can imagine this causes a real problem when trying to turn this machine. Anyone ran into this and have an idea of what maybe causing this??? Thanks Mike

Replies9
  1. #1Tinkerer2015-04-15 14:15

    If there isn't a differential lock engaged look at the spider gears again. If you only see three look for the fourth one. Something is wrong with them. If they were ok , they would allow the wheels to counter rotate when it is off the ground and you turn one wheel. Look carefully at the differential side gears for damage and if they are still in their proper position.

  2. #2sheepfoot2015-04-15 21:56

    Your on the right track, the machines with out a diff lock still have a cross shaft. A broken thrust washer shim at the side gear to carrier, or a seized side gear to cross shaft would be my guess. Looks like it's time to pull the brake housings and backing plate/side gear bearing supports and see what's going on.

  3. #31968 Case 580CK2015-04-15 22:08

    I recently posted a bunch of pics of my 580ck as I was working on the rear-end. I had one wheel which was locking up and I could not get to go free. Turns out it was the brakes froze up, which I also detail alot of pics and how to fix. Funny thing is that my CK also was showing the same symptons as you are describing.......when I first jacked her up and tried to spin a wheel, at first nothing would budge. Then I was able to rotate a back tire, and the other one spinned in the same direction. So, I was thinking the same thing you are......that the differential was locked somehow. However, after I took the frozen brakes off one side, and opened the differential top cover to drain and clean and inspect, both wheels no longer rotated in the same direction. Now, as I rotate one side, the other may move some, or not move at all.....but definately does not follow the marching order of the other wheel. So, maybe you just have a locked-up brake like I did?

  4. #41968 Case 580CK2015-04-15 22:11

    Hey, is your differential gear as pretty as mine?:

  5. #5vmaxmike2015-05-03 14:25

    After further review...... side gear seized to the cross shaft. what a PITA!!

  6. #61968 Case 580CK2015-05-03 18:07

    Well, I was hoping it was just the frozen brake on one side. Hope you can get the problem fixed.

  7. #7sheepfoot2015-05-03 19:13

    Yes you are in for some work, was it full with gear lube or low?. You may try a puller with long arms, use a center plate on the shaft under the threaded screw, small porta power wedge on the inside. You know the drill, floor board, trans cover top, fender, axle, bull gear, yes a pita!. Hope you have good luck and it can be pulled or pressed off without a lot of trouble but with the loader frame and backhoe frame it's kind of tight, may have to do both axles and bull gears and try to take it all out to press it off. Which side is locked up RT?.

  8. #8vmaxmike2015-05-04 08:07

    Axles, Bull gears, radius the case in two places to make room for the differential assembly to come out, remove spiders and side bearing, then heat and it still took everything a 80,000lb press had to push the cross shaft out of the center. After the "easy part" then the cross shaft had to be pressed out off the side gear. ALOT more heat and ruined the seals in my press but it finally gave. Was only the inner most 1/2" of the side gear that was galled and seized, so a couple hours and a lathe and I was able to turn both the cross shaft and Side gear to remover the damaged area and it's going to live. Waiting on seals and shims the set lash and reassemble. All of this cuz the previous owner (AKA Azz CLOWN) let her run too low on oil. Both seals at the brake shafts were bad and I believe that to be the original cause of this failure. M was the left side of the machine...

  9. #91968 Case 580CK2015-05-04 08:22

    VMax.......Mannnnnn! that was a ton of work!!! Im lucky that I just replaced my brake seals before the damage got too bad. All AzzzzKlowns should be told to write on the chalk board, "A stitch in time saves nine!" Post any pics you may have taken of the torture you went thru...... Good luck with her.