Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555D Intermittent Starting Issue

labbe001 · 2024-08-26 08:43

Hi All I'm having a intermittent starting issue with my Ford 555D. It will always turn over no problem. But sometimes it just won't start and sometimes it will. If it starts, it runs just fine...no issues. Then I can turn it off, and immediately try cranking it back and it will turn over but not start. I feel it's a fuel related issue b/c I can spray starter fluid in the intake and it will fire up and then die. Is there a particular piece of the fuel circuit that has to function for it to start that doesn't function once it's running? Like I said, once it starts (under it's own not using starter fluid) it works just fine. Any direction on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Replies1
  1. #1thepumpguysc2024-08-26 09:20

    There is a shut off solenoid on the injection pump.. U could hot wire it open to see if that’s your problem.. The solenoid is between the top cover and the fuel inlet.. Or, get someone to turn the key on and off and try to feel the plunger inside the solenoid retract and relax.. They have been known to lose voltage WHILE CRANKING.. but you’ll need a multi meter to check that.. Good luck