The topic is a little miss leading. The backhoe will start up fine the frist time. But once it gets warmed up then shut it off it doesn't want to start back. I have noticed if you barely bump the starter a few times it will crank. Then if you crank on it more than that it doesn't start. You can wait 20 minutes after its shut down and it might start or it might not. Ive replaced the fuel pump solenoid pulled some check valves and a screen from the top side of the pump and cleaned them but the problem still continues. I saw a few pages down where someone had a similar issue with a Ford 655 I'm wondering ifit is the same problem with the head on the fuel pump but I'm not familiar with the 655 if it's the same as the Ford 555d.
I noticed you didn't say anything about fuel filters..?? Did you read anything about a filter INSIDE the injection pump in your search's.?? Did you check for "floaters" IN the fuel tank.?? Are you holding the throttle wide open when you crank it.?? I thought the valves in the supply pump were pressed in..?? only removed IF your going to replace them.?? Personally I'm not sure about the last one.. between the labor and the kit, its cheaper to just replace it.. Try removing/replacing the filters and while their off.. blow back the lines all the way to the fuel tank.. Remove the tank cap while blowing the lines back.. listen for bubbles.. TRY to start it AFTER BLEEDING the air out.. WITHOUT the cap on.. 20 minutes seems awful short for a head to kool down, once its hot..
Yeah the filters and everything have been changed. Ive also blown back threw the lines as well. Just to much sometimes to keep up with. One mechanic and 60 pieces of equipment. The 20 minutes is an estimated time it still doesn't start at that time if you wind on it. Even after running for hours if you just slightly bum the starter 2-4 times it will crank on the other hand if you turn the key for anylonger than that you get jack but it turning over and not starting
You're confusing us; is it an electrical issue with the starter not cranking the engine? Or it cranks but will not start? Or do you have both? Best to describe the starter as either cranks or won't crank. Nothing else. Then if it's cranking, will it start? I used to have customers that would get those confused and I had to get it straight what the problem was.
Well to be honest im a bit confused with it my self. Ok so it will start up fine after use if it is shut off is where the issue is. If you try to start it back up it won't start. If you turn the key just barely enough to bump the starter a few times it will start. However if you try to start it up normally it will turn over but won't sart .you can be there till the battery is dead and it won't start. It might not make sense I know it doesn't to me
Sounds like a bad key switch to me if I'm reading you right. Seems the key in the fully turned to starter position has lost hot continuity with the injection pump but the continuity is still good in the keys "run" position. That's why if you quick bump the starter and drop the key back in run position, your still catching a rev with a powered up injection pump.
Possible faulty saftey switch Hello, i purchased a Ford 555D at an auction recently and have had a great time with her.... we use her for everything..... when she starts.... here lately, she fails to start, as in nothing not even a click sound when the key is turned. i come back some time later maybe when its a little warmer or cooler outside , then sometimes she will start up like brand new.... not sure what it could be. i know its obviosly electrical but where do i start looking for the culprit... If anyone out there has any ideas ..... it would be greatly appreciated.....
I have a new holland tractor ( Ford)that did the same thing, went crazy changing and checking everything I could think of, one day it was running and I tapped the ignition key with my elbow and she died on the spot, $25.00 in change later for a new ignition switch and never had the problem since...