Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555E dying at ~35% full

Nick350 · 2022-11-06 23:21

I have a 98 Ford/New Holland 555e that consistently dies when the tank gets below halfish full. i have replaced all the fuel lines going from and vent lines to the tank over the years and this issue has remained. It is finally time though for me to take a stab at fixing it. I checked the manual and it does not show the uptake system in tank. Does anyone know what it looks like and how to fix? (There really isn’t any good access points) any knowledge or insight is greatly appreciated

Replies5
  1. #1mitch5042022-11-06 23:52

    I haven't been in the tank on an E model, but all it takes is a tiny crack or a rust pit in the tube. it's easier to suck air than fuel. Just a thought, have you physically checked to see how much fuel is in the tank when it stops, or are you just going by the guage?

  2. #2Nick3502022-11-07 00:15

    I have actually been measuring the tank with a wooden yard stick. I made a mark where it runs out approximately and then just maintain it above that, the gauges don’t work.

  3. #3cosmaar12022-11-07 00:54

    Probably have a hole in the supply line inside the tank. scroll halfway down this thread and you will see what the tubes look like inside the tank. HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4NH575E2022-11-07 08:47

    This is what the supply and return tubes look like in the tank. I agree you probably have a hole in the supply tube. They are welded in and under the cab so a fix will have to be Macgyvered. The supply is 5/16" and the return is 3/8". Reversing the lines might be risky so I don't know if I would try that first or just move on to making a new supply line. Uniseals are the best option I have found for installing a tube in a tank but it doesn't look like they make a 5/16" version. The list jumps from 1/4" to 3/8". https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=89951&msclkid=b383f4cc036f1b132c1697a50439203d I think I would get a 3/8" uniseal and some 3/8" OD brake line and make a new tube. No real need to put a bend in the bottom. Just mark the depth and install it a few inches short. Cut the required 1" hole for the uniseal in front of the cab and feed the new tube in. Connect the supply hose to the new tube with a short piece of 3/8" fuel hose and a 3/8" to 5/16" adapter. It won't be purdy but should bypass the existing supply tube. You will need to cap the old tube to keep dirt out. https://www.amazon.com/JoyTube-Plas...d1c8c-2fd2-4f19-aa41-2df022bcb241-spons&psc=1

  5. #5Nick3502022-11-07 18:57

    Thank you so much for the detailed response, just the info I was looking for. I guess next time it is low I need to peak inside with a camera and possible drain / replace.