Hello, I have a Ford 575D backhoe that I am trying to bleed the fuel system on. It was idling when it ran out of fuel and need to know where I start the bleeding process from? Any help would be appreciated. -Thanks
There is a bleed screw by the name plate on the injection pump.. its a double screw.. loosen the 5/16" screw, turn over the engine till fuel squirts out & tighten, THEN loosen the lines AT THE INJECTORS till fuel squirts out & tighten.. DONE
I've got a 545d with a 3 cylinder diesel.from memory it has a shutoff valve on the bottom of the tank and then a water separator with a filter/strainer in it. Then a regular can filter that either unthread normal or has a bolt that pulls it up into place in the top center of the filter. on top of the filter housing there is a bleed screw (10mm I think)then down on the injector pump there is another bleed screw same size. There is not a priming pump on mine. If it were me I'd change the filters cuz even a "clean " tank can plug the filters up when run to low. To change them close the valve on bottom of tank, refill tank with fuel,remove replace filters, open tank valve, loosen filter bleed screw and let gravity fill filter until air stops coming out( if filters are not below tank u might have to crank engine to get the filters full). Tighten filter bleed screw and loosen injector pump bleed screw crank engine till clean fuel without air comes out then tighten injector pump bleed screw. Finally on top of engine (under the battery on mine) loosen the fuel line to each injector about 3/4-1 turns(3/4" wrench on mine) and crank engine until clean fuel comes out of each then retighten each injector line. It should start running during this process one cylinder at a time. Once running on all cylinders your done. If it seems to be running on less than all cylinders just loosen up and retighten one injector line at a time until they all are firing. Long reply but an easy process in practice. Good luck
Thanks fellas, I am going to try it out!
The few times I've had to prime my 575E I just pressurized the fuel tank for a minute and it pushed the fuel through the system. I use a #15 one hole rubber stopper and put the big end over the fuel cap hole. Blow into it with a portable air tank with a blower nozzle and hold pressure on the stopper. You could probably rig any number of ways to do this but it made the priming process clean and easy for me.
Where do rubber stoppers like that come from? I wouldn't mind having a box with one of each size in it.
Scientific research suppliers.