Ford 655 backhoe. Forward is perfect. All 4 gears work fine. When you use the shuttle shift to go in reverse it won’t go. 1/2 moves very little with very little power when idled all the way. 3/4 will not move at all. Any ideas on how to fix it? Filters have all been changed.
sounds like the reverse clutch pack is bad tear down and rebuild
Check your linkage. The most important wear point is inside the bellhousing between the bellcrank and F/R valve. That pin wears and causes the condition you describe. A bit of a Harry Houdini fix, but doable without a split. Access is through the inspection plate on the bottom of the bellhousing under the converter. If this pin is nice and tight and your linkage has little to no slop, then you may be looking at a split. Report back. There's one more place to look first.
I’ll check it. I was also told to check fuses. Do you happen to know if the shuttle fuse is blown can it still go forward or just wouldn’t move at all
I'm taking you at your word that you have a 655. A 655 is completely mechanical. Shift solenoids did not appear until the C series. If you have a 655C or D, the info I gave you is wrong.