Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 655 D Filters

Powder ยท 2016-05-15 13:23

Hi ya'll we just bought a I think 94 655 D.. it has the spin on hydraulic filter,, We were changing filters and the fuel filter settlement bowl next to the fuel filter had about 1/4 inch of sluge in it. Is this common,,or indication filter has been change in long time. is the something else I need to do to stop this? thanks for a great form as this is our first backhoe and we know NOTHING

Replies3
  1. #1x-ray2016-05-16 08:31

    The "D" series has the double fuel filter system (ie right next to each other) right? Either way I have found sludge, muck, gunk in my glass bowl that I usually clean out every 4 months or so. It amounts to about 1/8th or better of the glass bowl size. I would expect that I would get more that most users, as I live on a hill and the tank is seldom ever on the level when operating (lots of sloshing about). The only way to stop it would be to siphon off the top diesel and drain/filter the rest. Usually the tank pickup is never right on the bottom. So unless you suspect fuel contamination I would just keep monitoring it and empty every so often...

  2. #2NH575E2016-05-16 11:46

    Check the banjo fitting going into the bowl also. My tank had a rusty bottom and the banjo fitting clogged there. After cleaning it all out I installed a small engine filter before the bowl. Have had to change that once but for just under 4 bucks it's cheap insurance.

  3. #3Powder2016-05-16 12:11

    were gonna keep an eye on it,,, were putting new filters on everything, maybe it was just time to be changed,,