HI all . No problem, tractor is running fine. I put the right radiator cap on it and now no more coolant loss.. So hopefully do not have to rebuild . ,,,,But I was sitting here on this crappy morning wondering how the injection pump comes off a 188D . I know the lines and three bolts come off . Do you then just pull pump out or do i have to open up to get at timing gears. Ive searched the forum and internet but cant seem to find the answer. thanks diver
Diver. The pump will slide off the shaft that is bolted to the pump gear inside the front cover. If you pull the pump, mark its position so you can get it back close enough to run. Don't turn over the engine or timing will change. Final timing is done on by turning the pump to line up the timing marks in the timing window under the two screws on the side of the pump. There are two seals on the shaft that are difficult to get back properly and if they are damaged, fuel leaks into the crankcase. Pumpguysc has posted some information on getting the pump back on without destroying the seals. He may come on here with further advice. If you have a look at the parts book, the exploded view shows the shaft, nut and gear. If you need pictures, let me know and I can take a couple since mine is still all apart. I had my pump rebuild and they installed the shaft for me. It was easy as the engine was ll over the floor already and rad gone for recore. Good luck...
thanks. I was just wandering if i should ever have to pull it for a rebuild or something. What does the shaft do just slide into pump in a slot?
diver, The shaft is threaded and has a key seat on the end the gear goes on. The end that goes into the pump has the two seals and a cross piece that fits into a slot in the pump. The seals sit in a sleeve that is part of the pump. Have a look at the parts breakdown and it shows it pretty well. I removed my pump when tearing down the engine and took the shaft out later. When I dropped it off at the shop, I asked them to install the shaft for me, on the advice of pumpguysc and that's what I did. Mine ran fine but they told me that after all these years, it was pretty worn and I would have had issues with it before too long anyway. Now the pump looks like new...
The SMARTEST thing to do is TIME the pump BEFORE you remove it.. 1st> shut off the fuel.. Remove the small side plate.. 2 flat head screws.. let the fuel drain.. Rotate the engine until the line on the weight cage, lines up w/ the stationary line on the cam ring.. and bam.. your done.. Remove the lines and linkage and the 3 bolts on the pump flange and pull the pump back.. The drive shaft will stay in the engine.. spray the dr. sh down w/ some oil and wrap a baggie around it, if its going to be exposed for awhile.. that will keep the dust and dirt and surface rust down to a minimum.. The HARDEST PART is getting the seals back in the pump with out rolling them.. Its VERY doable.. just a PITA.. with out the right tool..
Thanks, can one buy the right tool. thanks diver
No need for a special tool. One umbrella seal faces the engine to keep oil out of the pump. The other faces the pump to keep fuel from the engine. This is the one that can roll. I always used Lubri-plate white grease on them. Anything not sharp enough to scratch the seal will wok. Once it is started the whole way around, they are OK. I had many on and off, never had a problem.
Nice info guys and thanks so much for the info. All this will come in handy if i ever have to pull it thanks Diver