Hello all, my Ford 655A steering issue is that it became difficult to turn the steering wheel with little movement of the tires, now I can turn the steering wheel all the way left or right without any movement of the tires including while they are off the ground. Is this a bad power steering pump or steering motor? I need to get it home, about 3 miles but can’t load on trailer without steering, could drive it home, any ideas of how to steer it, obviously with the breaks?? Thanks in advance for your help. Ozzy
Have you checked the fluid level in the power steering pump?
With the engine running I removed the filler cap on the power steer pump and can see fluid moving! I’m going to add a little more. If no result then I plan to drain the fluid and replace it with 134 per the manual because the previous owner used power steering fluid!
…any suggestions?
I always suggest using a light weight engine oil for the gear drive power steering pumps on all types of equipment. The pumps can and do lose the seals. The light weight atf can wash out engine bearings. As for the total lack of steering, I guess if it has enough fluid and seems to be pumping, you are down to orbital valve failure or a huge piston seal leak at the cylinder. I suppose you could pull a hose off the cylinder and find out by turning the wheel. See if oil is passing though.
Okay I’ll try that now! Thank you very much! I’ll let you know the results shortly
Even if you are seeing flow in the pump it could also be the relief valve has failed (see part 15). You will have to disassemble the pump to get to it.
OK, good to know. Will it hurt anything else if I continue to run the system I don’t want to pollute the oil or anything of that nature.
If any damage was done I would suspect it to be minimal. The passage out of the relief is not very big. If anything I would suspect a broken spring that has wound around itself. Plus the filter would keep any debris out of the pump element.
Update: taking in consideration everything that everyone said, I topped off the reservoir, tan the system wheels up, turning the steering wheel as far left and right until it started working!!!! I suppose the system had air in it. As of right now, I have steering but it feels a bit weak, any suggestions as to why? I’m guessing the power steering pump is worn! Thanks to everyone by the way, saved the day for sure
Ok I’ll definitely check it! I’m going to change the fluid and filter so I’ll hopefully have a chance to see if any debris is there! Thank you very much!