Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 655D Turbo, Engine Rebuilds

Macca ยท 2011-01-10 09:51

G'day, looking at rebuilding a Ford 655D turbo engine, 92 model, 256 CID engine. Can anyone recommend a source for pistons for this engine. 4.4" bore 4.2" stroke. It appears that the 655D Turbo engine is a bit special having a different crank and rods to Ford agricultural versions. Thanks Macca.

Replies6
  1. #1koldsteele2011-01-10 10:14

    The only difference in a 256 non turbo is that the turboed motors have rifle drilled rods for direct oiling to the wrist pin ..There where some motors that ran a Headland piston ,the top ring is real close to the top of the piston . When I build one of these I like to machine and sleeve and go back standard bore. If it has a Headland piston you can use an old style piston but you will notice a power loss ..Hope this helps ..Oh more thing I like to use genuine Ford head gasket I've had trouble with aftermarket in this area ..

  2. #2Macca2011-01-14 10:20

    Hi Koldsteel, thanks for the advice, when you say its the same as other 256 engines, what model are you refering to? Yes the rod is drilled for forced lubrication of the gudgeon and there are oil jets under the piston. I have been told that the pistons are unusual due to the short crank and different rods. The engine has Iveco Rods in it. The only cross reference for pistons that I have found are in the Joseph Industries cross reference.

  3. #3koldsteele2011-01-16 08:24

    The Ford 256 4.4 bore 4.2 stroke .Used in there Ag line 5000,5600,6600,7600 tractors.Looking at the CNH website the piston is not a Headland ..some 7000 ,7600 and 7700 used an odd connecting rod what they call a 1.410 length rod ..Are your wrist pin bushuings tapered ? The rod bushing is sorta triangle shaped ..Hope this helps..

  4. #4Macca2011-01-18 06:43

    Hi Koldsteel, thanks for your help... Yes, the little end bushing in the rod is narrower at the top than the bottom leading to a tapered look (Triangular) when viewed from the side. It has more surface area on the area facing towards the big end. Yes, pistons look a bit like 4500 pistons, but the wrist pin is much larger. How can I tell if its a 1.410 rod by measurement? I take it that the tapered wrist pin bushing is associated with the 1.410 rod?

  5. #5koldsteele2011-01-18 08:05

    Macca ..I'd probably go to the CNH website and use the oem part numbers in trying to find aftermarket parts ...I've tried to find these rods aftermarket with no luck..

  6. #6Macca2011-01-20 07:12

    Hi Koldsteel, the pistons and rings are the main items that I'm after. Some how I just need to do a comparison to the 7000 and other models you mentioned in Post 4 to see if they are compatible. I will give the CNH part numbers another go. I want to get away from using original CNH pistons as they are very pricey.