How can I rotate torque converter so it can be drained without buying special tool?
Pull the rubber plug on the torque housing and look up to see if the drain screw is visible. Many engines always stop in the same place, and JD was good enough to index their torques to that position. Mine is like that. If that fails, you could disconnect the fuel shutoff solinoid and bump the starter. John
I drained the oil from the torque converter in my 310D. I did not see the drain plug the first time I looked. I think this is partially because the plug is smaller than I expected and it is not really in line with the hole. It is more towards the motor. I was able to turn the motor with a large flat screwdriver through the special hole on left of the motor. It took about 1.5 or 2 hours before the thing was empty. Hope this helps.
Thanks guys, I did move it a little with big screwdriver but not to easy. There are two plugs in the converter. Take out one, rotate 180 degrees take out the second one. That will let air in to drain fluid. My old 50 buick and other cars I worked on had same setup. We could grab fan with plugs out or put socket on crank pulley to rotate engine. I might just pull off sump, clean screen and put her back together. Thanks as always, this is the best site I go to.