I have a problem that I have to solve and looking for advise. This fall I went to bulk salt for my plowing contracts and that has lead to a need for another machine. I will need my skid steer at the shop to load salt into my truck and was looking for another skid to keep at one of my parking lots for plowing snow. I went to local New Holand dealer, who is very good to me and has stood behind his products that I have purchased from him in the past. He shows me a Ford 655E extenda hoe, 4x4, 4100 hrs on it, looks to be in good shape and he is asking 25k for it. This machine could move a lot more snow than a skid steer and cost less than any skid steer that he had. I could use it in the summer, I have had to move a skid and excavator to some jobs that I could used just a TLB for. I would also like to have a machine for the shop during the summer because my only machine with forks is the skid and it is out on a job and something needs to be moved at the shop. I want to buy from this dealer if possible but what is really bad with the Fords. Not going to be my main machine, I will use a excavator most of time but always wanted a back hoe.
Is it a Ford or New Holland? The Ford name was dropped quite some time ago, 25K sounds pretty high for a machine that old. My buddy swears by Ford/New Holland. He's on his third machine since starting his business back in 1981. I personally would choose a different machine just due to the layout, I don't care for the way the controls are laid out. They also seem to be more cheaply made than some other brands, a lot more rattles and parts coming loose in the cab than other machines I've run.
Hi steve, it is a New Holand here is a photo They just put all new tires on it. I have looked up past threads and most don't like New Holand but the same machine made by others is alot more money, so small fit and finish issue no big deal but major problems like engine, drive train etc would be something I would look at. It is not a Cat, Case or Deere but I am not looking for machine to use every day.
That's the same machine my friend currently has. Don't gert me wrong, it will get the job done. The machine has been reliable mechanichally, just small odds and end in the cab come loose. The steering column came loose (rattled) from the dash, the shift lever has over an inch of play in it currently, the ignition switch has fallen apart as has the E-brake lever. If you've got a hole to dig or material to load, it will do it. The ergonomics are not as good as other machines available, controls just don't feel good where they are (at least for me). One example is the twisting motion required to run the 4 way bucket. I've got large hands, and the amount of movement required is beyond the motion I have in my wrist. If I were to run all day using the 4-way, I'm sure my wrist would be real sore. In my opinion, New Holland lags behind the rest of the industry by nearly 10 years with their TLBs and skid steers.
Almost every NH backhoe I've ever seen, until they recently redesigned some things, had a much larger rear tire on it. Something like a 16.9X28 instead of the more common 19.5X24. Besides being a odd one to find, it made every little pebble feel like a mountain to drive over. However, the main reason I point this out, is that the picture above looks like a 19.5X24 rear tire. I would be sure to check into what the machine originally had to be sure you aren't going have a problem with the internal gear ratios being off and wearing out tires or straining the drivetrain. I'm sure you saw me among those who dislike NH backhoes. Without reliving all the stories that I'm sure you already read in past threads, the best way to describe them is not quite contractor grade. It's not going to blow up or anything, but daily or prolonged use will quickly show many uncomfortable little things like Steve mentioned. Like the loader joystick being about 2 feet long to name one. While not the most important factor, how much are you willing to spend on something that you know ahead of time has poorly thought out ergonomics that be mildly annoying or worse? Power was not where it should have been. If I remember, the front was too weak and the back too strong. I remember not being able to curl some things back with the front and then later, dragging myself all over with the backhoe due to too much power and not enough machine weight. Not necessarily a deal breaker, just something to be aware of. Mechanically, I couldn't really complain about the time I spent on one, but you got the feeling that it would really be perfect for someone who had never run anything else and only used it on weekends and would never know the difference if the controls feel funny. It sometimes sat for a while, but always started even in winter. My final verdict, probably too much money for too many hours. With all the slow contractors right now, there has to be better deals waiting. Although, the good dealer throws a wrench into the mix. It's tough to find good dealers, so you don't want to lose that, but then again, this is business not charity. If I remember correctly, the NH that I used was a 97 or 98 and owned by a guy that bought it from his cousin or something. This was about 5 years ago. It had 700 hrs and he bought it for around $37K (amount owed), which was probably pretty close to it's new price. Probably a case of buying with 0 down etc, and then the payments start rolling in, luckily the guy was able to offload to a family member. Just some numbers for you.
Thanks guys for the posts. I am rethinking buying anythig now because of how bad things are. I will have no problem justifying the machine for the winter but could be a mistake this summer. A freind of mine said I could use his old Ford 2x4 555 at the shop to load salt for $500 a month so this could be a option.
The 16.9x28 tires are an option which increases ground clearance, great for digging footings The 19.5x24 tires are standard with 12x16.5 front tires. I have owned 5 ford/New holland Backhoes Never Had any problems with any of them. currently own B95 New Holland it is used every day commercially, plenty of power, front loader has best breakout force of any machine out there. Backhoe has awesome digging power. I would not be afraid to put it up against any other Manufacturer out there!
mackcat, I have heard from guys around here that they like the NH but thats all you see because the only dealer we have is a NH dealer. It is like my Mack truck, not real comfortable but thats all I know so I do not know any better. Thanks for all the replays, I just want something that will pay for itself before it needs major repair.
well i have had fords since 1988.i buy a new one every 4 years witch usally around 5000 hrs.i have yet to have any major problems.i curently have a 675e and just got the b95lr in august.sold the 555e and that was the best machine i have ever had.as far as the one guy saying it didnt weigh enough,well that 655 with 4in1 will put you close to 20000lb.i have set 1500 gallon concrete septic tanks with mine and never a problem.i have ran case jd and cat,but never what you would say operated them,all i can say.is my new hollands will stay with them or out dig them anyday of the week.most people want to say fords are to light,anyone from say the d sereis is lite.but the e and now the b arent light weight.you get in soft soil and you will find out.im not going to bash no one for what they like and own,ovesly if you pay big money for it you better like it.i like the new hollands and my dealer is real good.it is about 50 miles from me and i have a deer dealer 10 miles but he is a *****.as far as tires go,i like the 16.9 28.alot faster on the road.my new b95 has 21.24.and 14 17.5 on the front and they do float better in soft footing.you will be fine with the 655 as long as you have more than a 1 ton truck to move it
New Holland Backhoes I guess if New Holland Backhoes are 10 years behind in design that might be fair but they are also $10,000.00 to $15,000.00 behind in resale. That's why I own one. I'm in this deal to make money. They also burn very little fuel. I really like the New Holland Backhoes. They are wide like a cat or deere and I really like the front end loader. The back end is a little light but good enough for 90% of the people, besides if you digging a lot in hard ground buy an excavator. The last cat I ran had a Ford rear end and the 555e 4X4 has the same front axle as the Case. Just something to think about.
I bought my first backhoe in August of 2007. It is a 2005 New Holland LB75B. I bought it 18 months old with 244 hours on it for $32,000.00. I have now used it for 15 months with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I was not a backhoe operator but the New Holland has done everything I have ever asked of it and never failed to start or give any hint of any problem. All at a cost of probably $15,000 less than a comparable model from Deere, Cat, or Case.I don't know how I could have been any more satisfied with one of the big three.
New Holland Backhoes I couldn't have said it better myself. These machines have a very loyal following with Owner/Operators. Where these machines really shine is a guy that is either part time or has a couple of pieces of equipment he's trying to pay for. Mine has less than 2000 hours and a Wainroy with 2 buckets, I'd take $22,500.00 for it. Try buying a 4x4 Case, Cat or John Deere for that.
I personally dont think Id buy a ford or NH for heavy duty use. Im die hard Case and Deere but the old Fords Ive heard were decent. I'd take a New Holland over a Cat or JCB though.
Since we are on the subject how many of you guys really need a backhoe. I ask this because a friend of mine said today that his sits most of the time, he has three and I never see them move. I own a 16,000 excavator, 36,000 excavator, dozer, and skid steer so most jobs I take an excavator and skid steer but I guess a backhoe could take the place of the exacavator and skid for smaller jobs. I think I am missing something, a TLB could load more and move more than a skid steer but for loading trucks a excavator can't be beat, well maybe will a wheel loader.
i dont think it is about needs. i have a 655d that i have had for 5 years. i have put less than 250 hrs. on it. it has paid for its self at this areas going rate if i had to have the work done by some one else.
655 Do those machines have sleeves in the motor?