Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any help with an International 2500a trany issue

Bad Idea? ยท 2008-11-11 21:51

I just bought a 2500a diesel I don't know much about tractors, it has a loader and backhoe, but it doesn't have reverse. I pulled the seat and all the sheet metal out and found that there is a broken shaft that leads into the transmission from the hi/lo reverse linkage. Has anyone ever had this issue? Can I fix it from the inspection cover of the transmission or will I need to split the machine? Is there most likely a bigger problem inside the transmission? I ordered a repair manual, but I was just wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to what I have for a problem before I tear into it. I paid 3500 for the machine it's a '78 did I screw myself? Thanks for any help

Replies17
  1. #1stumpjumper832008-11-11 22:10

    Well what you have is a loader and backhoe added to a base tractor that IH used to make several different machines from. Ag tractors, industrial tractors, TLB's, and forklifts to say the least. The good news out of that is that new and used replacement parts are easy to obtain. You can get on case ih's ag website and get into the parts manuals for the tractor on their web site. If you need help locating used parts, wengers of myerstown is as good of a place to start as any. If it was mine, and I have a 2400a (gas) by the way, I'd replace the broken linkage and try shifting without the machine running, and if I felt any binding or it didn't feel like things were working right I'd remove the top cover to the trans and see what I could see. I think you can take the top cover off without having to split the tractor, not positive though. As for if you got a deal or not, it will be better determined after you get the tranny issues fixed, but initally you could have done worse. If you wanna see mine, here is pics. I paid $1800, but it has a blown motor, but I got a c-200 short block and a c-200 power unit with it as well.

  2. #2Bad Idea?2008-11-12 07:38

    Thanks for the feedback Stumpjumper83, Maybe I didn't explain it right, but the piece that is broken goes through the trany case, so I would think that it has some type of clip or something holding what is left of it in place inside the trany. Sorry I don't know the right terms to use, the piece that is broken is called an arm Assy, range shift outer front, it attaches to the Arm, Range shift inner, according to my parts book. I guess I need to see a manual so I know how it all comes apart.

  3. #3Bad Idea?2008-11-20 19:31

    Maybe a cheap fix, I've got my fingers crossed! Hey guys for anyone that has read this post and wished for a follow up, I'm still working on the tractor, I got the inspection cover off and found that the shift assemble had a broken piece that goes into the trans. I found a guy that had new one on the shelf for 68 bucks, I'm hoping this will fix the problem, I'm waiting for it now hope it will be here by Monday will keep you up to date. :drinkup

  4. #4Bad Idea?2008-11-26 15:12

    Got it! Okay guys just wanted you to know, that it's fixed 68 dollar part! and a couple hours of work.

  5. #5Preppypyro2008-11-27 10:24

    Nice to see an update, glad it worked for ya bud!

  6. #6stumpjumper832008-11-27 11:24

    yeah, same here. Mine goes into the shop this week to get a new heart (engine). Old one got too cold.

  7. #7PERCH2009-10-13 01:37

    Can anybody help me out? I'm looking for a repair manual for a 2500A Diesel. I can find parts manuals but not a repair manual. The tractor is running fine, I just bought it. But I like to have the manuals on hand for maintenance etc. Thanks

  8. #8IH 3500A2009-10-13 22:15

    Manuals show up on e bay pretty frequently. Manuals are broken down into Engine, Back hoe , Hydrostat trans then everything else ( including gear trans ) is in the Chassis book. There are some repro manuals out there, search around for the best deal, some are priced a bit too high.

  9. #9PERCH2009-10-14 01:25

    Thanks for the info on manuals.

  10. #10pvdh2862009-11-04 19:48

    hydro I am glad you got your shaft worked out, hjow hard was it to remove the top cover, I have 2500B, gas that seems to be getting air in the system, it gets noisyer, and noiser, and noiser after a few min. thaks pete

  11. #11timothytim2010-10-05 20:09

    Stumpjumper83, Do you still have the C-200 short block you mentioned? If so and it's not broken, I'm interested.

  12. #12stumpjumper832010-10-06 20:32

    yeah I have the whole tractor with a running motor, has a charging issue at the moment and I have enough spare pieces to put another motor together, but it will probably need machine work to the crank and stuff. pm me if I can help

  13. #13ginny2012-05-30 19:06

    i have a 2400a international harvester hoe 1973, also have the booklet repair manual for it, it is 3cyl.diesel with loader bucket and two other scoop buckets, i also had a tranny problem a few years back similar to yours but my husband just took a small cover off the edge of it by the left side of the seat and attached it back together to make it shift gears. Mine now needs the hydraulic backhoe long arm seal replaced from sitting and not getting used. It is leaking fairly bad. Has new paint, alternator, tires and all else is fine except light flasher boxes are smashed and don't work anymore but can be fixed if i ever get the time to do it.

  14. #14BMW-MacGyver2012-07-13 16:55

    I have a 2400a with the 3142 backhoe. Looks like I have the same issue. The linkage arm for Hi-Lo was broken off when I got it. A pair of vice grips were used to grab what was left of the end of it. I seemed to work for the first couple of hours but I now have no forward or reverse, no steering and no hoe boom swing. I guess I'll be removing the top cover and look inside.

  15. #15BMW-MacGyver2012-07-13 17:35

    Oops, mine is a 3400A.

  16. #16carguy2012-07-24 00:32

    I have a 2500a diesel with standard transmission. I'm wondering if you folks are talking about a hydro transmission. If anyone knows about manual tranny's I think I need a throwout bearing in mine and wondered if it could be done through an access cover. Anyone know? I have an engine service manual but it doesn't cover the clutch....

  17. #17BMW-MacGyver2012-08-11 09:32

    My 3400a has the manual trans. 4 speed with a hi-lo range. I have an intermittent problem where when steering hard it will jump out of gear? It doesn't seem to be the gear shift but some type of hydraulic release. I have low power swinging the boom too. I've had the top off both gear cases and everything looks ok as far as gear teeth condition. Anyone have any suggestions?