Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 750 TLB

HardmanGT ยท 2013-02-24 19:50

Hi guys, I am new to the site and looking for some info on an old Ford 750 TLB. I have been looking for a machine for using on my own property. I will be building a house, large garage, 700' driveway, clearing and grading so I want something that is up to the task. I came across an old Ford 750 TLB and my impression is that it is a pretty heavy duty machine and would be up to the tasks I want to accomplish. I am having trouble getting specs on this machine. The dealership that has it now doesn't seem to be able to locate serial numbers etc so we don't even have a year to go by. The hoses look awful but are not leaking, one stabilizer is rusted and leaking fluid where it has wiped out the glands. it needs a paint job pretty badly. They are asking $7,000 and I just want to know if there are any known problems with this model. I would love to find the specs on this, too. http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/find/listing/FORD-750-97784891 The FEL bucket is also pretty crushed on the top. I was thinking I could probably bend that back with some bottle jacks. Thoughts?

Replies14
  1. #1hookedondiesel2013-02-25 05:44

    My thought, it's about 4000 to much.

  2. #2HardmanGT2013-02-25 07:13

    That's fine to say that but back it up with why. What's inherently wrong with it? Are you judging it by its looks? Are there known issues?

  3. #3Bill Smith2013-02-25 07:31

    For $7000 the dealer should repair all the leaks . Then ask them if you can rent it for the day to test it out .If they say no ,then walk

  4. #4HardmanGT2013-02-25 08:37

    ok, so it's overpriced and for that money any repairs should be done by the dealer. Got it Any input on that model in general?

  5. #5Tinkerer2013-02-25 08:46

    That one stabilizer rod that is rusted will cost a lot of money to keep replacing the oil it will lose. Ag supply stores in my area are charging $40.00 a gallon for house brand hydraulic oil. And it is going to go higher with fuel prices rising. I would venture to say the stabilizer will not hold the machine up either. At least not very long. That will be no end of aggravation. Maybe you can clean the rod well enough to make it usable. I dunno, I wouldn't do it. Sounds like you will be putting quite a few hours on it, let alone be depending on it to be available when you need it. A new replacement rod in my area would cost about $450.00 to have fabed and the gland repacked. I just had a backhoe bucket cylinder about the same size redone. For $7000.00 I would keep looking for something better.

  6. #6lumberjack2013-02-25 09:20

    I was going to say the op's description of the machine was all it took to say that was too much. Don't buy oil at parts houses, Walmart is the cheapest usually for engine oil. I get my hydro oil from the distributor, $11.87 per gallon (in buckets) for Tellus 32/46/68.

  7. #7HardmanGT2013-02-25 09:33

    Keep the information coming guys. I really do appreciate it! I haven't run any equipment in 15-20 years. My father owned several pieces of equipment that I used when growing up. The JD440 dozer he had was one of my favorites, 6 way blade and a backhoe attachment. I would consider going that route instead of the TLB. He also had an old JD tricycle tractor but I can never remember the model. He fabricated a boom for the 3 pt and used it for skidding logs. He also bought a 4wd Belarus for logging at one point Found a very old pic of me using the old tractor to brush mow about 20 years ago http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/2063_1092079175262_2758_n.jpg http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/2063_1092079215263_3046_n.jpg

  8. #8Delmer2013-02-25 10:59

    If you like the poppin johny and belarus, then you'll love the ford! kidding a little bit (have to be clear, we tend toward the dense on this site). You can easily find a much better backhoe for a much better price, just buy this one and in a couple of weeks the better one will come along. Seriously though, that seems like a good machine for what you're looking to do with it. Maybe that's the price you're going to have to pay, but I'd hope not. From other fords it looks to be from the 70's, possibly very early 80's. That's getting to be a pretty old machine, and fords don't hold their value like cat or deere (from what I've read on hear, anyway) Of course we're just random internet dudes, don't know how much you value your time, how much you like getting your hands dirty and/or greasy, or whether you're expecting to save money or are willing to pay for the experience. Personally I'd go for a similar one for a better price, or spend the $7k for a slightly newer, cleaner one. There's not much benefit to buying such an old machine from a dealer for the extra you'll pay over a private party sale. edit: I'd also avoid the crawler/backhoe. A backhoe that old will have enough issues without adding tracks etc. to wear out.

  9. #9HardmanGT2013-02-25 11:11

    I was quoted $26K to rough in a 700' driveway and a 100'X100' building lot. No yard, no septic, no foundation. I can do the work myself on nights, weekends and during the vacation time I have accrued. I can do it as quickly or as long and drawn out as I choose. The driveway material is about $5-$6K. I would much rather own the equipment than rent and throw money away. I can always use it later or turn around and sell it. I also agree that a crawler/hoe is a potential money pit with an old machine. Seems like they all need clutches, tracks, etc

  10. #10El Hombre2013-03-15 21:52

    I did the DIY home building. Dug the foundation, did the septic field, placed the 60 cubic yards of aggregate under the slab, moved the dirt and rocks around the site. $7k isn't that out of line for a 750, I would check Craigslist and internet machinery dealers to get a better idea of the local market. If you price some parts, Case and especially Deere, well you better be sitting down when they tell you how much. Cat is just as bad. Ford parts are cheap by comparison. I have the predecessor to the 750, a 5550. No turbo, but just as heavy and powerful. Torque convertors were the weak point. You'll never be underpowered with the big Fords, mine is 10 tons, so it doesn't walk around when I'm using it. I made a thumb for it, can lift 4,000# boulders....

  11. #11hookedondiesel2013-03-16 02:32

    Hombre, how about a few pics of that home made thumb.

  12. #12El Hombre2013-03-16 13:54

    Digital camera is on the blink, but here is a link to what I copied: http://www.amulet.com/hoeclamp.html I made it out of 1" T-1 or HY-100 steel plate. This is a heat treated, stress relieved, contains every element know to make alloy steel. I had a brochure and pictures off the web to get an idea of part shapes and size. Then I made patterns out of 3/4" plywood with the curves and holes in them and clamped and pinned those to the boom. I attached a 16' 1x2 to the bucket curl lever, then I could stand to the side of the bucket and curl, uncurl the bucket and watch how the tips moved versus the bucket. Those parts that are kidney bean shaped are the most important dimension to get right. Those and the relationship of the holes determine the leverage and ability to hold onto to something. What you're looking for is the bucket teeth and the tip of the thumb moving about the same speed when you curl. Plus this design has two attachment points, so you can set the thumb further open for really big stuff. You need the T-1, it will flex, but won't take a permanent bend. You'll need oxy-acetylene cutting torches, some way to bore 2" holes for the pins, and a good sized arc welder. I'll see if I can find some batteries for the camera, I had film photos of the prototyping with the wood patterns, see if I can find and scan those.

  13. #13hookedondiesel2013-03-16 15:02

    Thanks Hombre, I do have oxy-acetylene and AC/DC arc welder. Making the pattern out of plywood is a good idea.

  14. #14HardmanGT2013-03-26 14:14

    I passed on making a deal on this thing. It was too rough and the dealer was firm on his price. I thought it was too expensive and needed too much work