I have searched through the forums and HOPE that my only problem is a clogged screen at the injector pump. So I pulled the line loose at the injector pump, then a connector. No screen was found. In the parts book, it looks like the end piece of the injector pump (1492548 cap) has to be removed to get to the screen (1105400 screen). If this is the correct screen that sometimes get clogged, how do I remove the cap to get to it?
Be patient. There a number of good Cat guys on here. They will get you headed in the right direction.
rutwad what are the symtoms on you 416C machine. as far as the screen i have never had to remove that screen. the debris would have to get by the main filter to get to that point.
Fuel gauge works sometimes so first time it happened I thought it was out of fuel. Added fuel and got it started. Since then it has done it many more times, usually runs for 2-5 minutes, stumbles, then shuts down. Sometimes I can crank it immediately using ether to get it going. Fuel filter has been replaced. Blew air through lines. Cleaned fuel tank.
Have you cleaned the fuel strainer located just out of the fuel tank?
hey rutward.... try running machine directly from a pale of fuel... if machine does not quit, you know your problem lays within the tank or lines... It could be something as simple as a clogged tank vent... when machine dies try removing fuel lid, is there any suction there?... also inspect fuel lines for the possibility of collapsing...
I would be suspect of the transfer pump maybe. Depends on how often it happens. One other thing mine did , it has the electric grid heater you hold for 30 seconds and then turn the engine over while holding down the button. It sprays fuel in the intake for some reason. The little tube from the pump runs behind the engine between the head and hydraulic tank. It can rub a hole in it and allows air to get in the system. It is a pita to get off. I brazzed my line over cooled it and then put a coat on for a wear buffer. If yours has the cold start aid it could be it. I wish someone could explain what the fuel line does. I know after I fixed it , I had cussed enough that 10 Hail Mary's wouldn't cover the sin.
It sounds like you're talking about a flaming heater. The coil heats up, causing a fuel spray which ignites, feeding flames into the engine, intending to make faster cold starts. I'm not familiar with Cats, can't say for sure. Instead of a pail of fuel, run it off of an outboard motor tank to test your tank/screen/hoses for leaks/plugs.
I was unaware of the fuel strainer located near the tank. I'll try that first, then I'll try running it from a different fuel source and see what happens.
rutwad try checking the fuel transfer pump. there is a bolt in the center top of it and you can take it off and i believe there is a screen inside the transfer pump. i have found them plugged up there with trash. i was trying to send you a picture but it was to big and would not download it. good luck.
Several ideas for you to check. 1. Both fuel filters 2. Fuel pickup in tank. 3. Fuel pump strainer. 4. Both fuel filter holders, dirt can collect in these. If you pull the fuel lines and remove to clean them, be carefull when your re-insert the fuel lines, you may have to replace the rubber bushings that seal the lines. They are cheap. 5. Electrical - I've found broken/frayed wiring under the floor plate, just above the transmission. When traveling the wire bundles move and fray. I lost my tach and then fuel shutoff solenoid - they are in the same wire bundle. The machine would run and stop randomly, evenutally stopped running altogether. Good luck
Well after a lot of trial and error, I think it is the transfer pump. I have to get some more fuel now to make sure, but I'll let you know what I find. THANKS FOR THE REPLIES!!