I'm new to heavy equipment and this site. I just purchased a Ford 750 TLB (Construction model with the backhoe built in) and I've slowly brought it back to life with new fuel pump, alternator, hoses, fluids and replacing wires. My concern is when I put it in 1st gear in forward and as an example try to push down a cabbage palm about 8 feet tall the tractor will Very slowly push the tree over and it appears not have much power. I noticed when I floor it and it can't push the tree over the rear tires do not spin. The transmission is automatic (no Clutch) but I'm wondering if a known good working tractor would have enough power to spin the rear wheels again this type of load. Any advise would be appreciated. thank you. Jorge.
I can't say for sure for that Ford, but in general a tractor should spin the wheels in first gear. If you push high up the weight can transfer to the rear and on a firm surface it might not spin the tires. Pushing at ground level on typical soil is a fair test. What does it do in the other gears when you load into a pile of material? are they all equally weak or does 1st seem weaker?
I'm doing the tests on suger sand and 2nd. gear seems equally weak and 3rd. gear appears to be for no load driving on paved road surfaces. I'm comparing it to a much smaller Kiote 24HP tractor only (no loader or Backhoe) and I'm somewhat concerned because the Kiote will bury itself from spinning the rear wheels, the kiote is a manual transmission and much smaller so I don't know if its a fair comparison.
Yeah, that definitely sounds bad. Sorry I can't help with Fords, but somebody might come along that knows where to start.
I'm hoping someone with a 750 tlb can chime in and give me an idea if this is normal or not. It does have enough power to carry a full load of dirt but I would have expected more power to push through small trees. I've not replaced the tranny fluid because it looks clean, I did notice it has a viscosity similar to the hydraulic fluid. Do you know what transmission fluid I should be using for this type of tractor?
should load or push in 1st in gear that engine has a exhaust driven tubro charger,,,which doesn't kick in at low RPMs..if some of the fins/or part them on the exhaust have been burn off from usage, this would give low air flow to engine, if so, you should have lots of black smoke out the exhaust
The exhaust flange (pipe out to muffler) on the turbo rusted off and I welded a 2.5 inch pipe directly to the turbo exhaust housing and the welds are air tight but I did notice some significant exhaust leaks from the base (where the turbo meets the exhaust manifold) because the rust was so bad on the mating surfaces from material loss due to rust. I just ordered some exhaust gasket material thicker than the copper gasket that it had and I hope this will fill in the opening and seal up the leaks. After you mentioned it, I can see that I may be loosing a lot of power to the turbo leaks. I've not noticed the color of the exhaust under load but I'm pretty sure it is very black but I assumed that was normal for diesels. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
That leaking is causing the turbo to not function, but I'd think it would still be able to spin the tires. Definitely check the air filter and whole air intake system. The black smoke is a good sign that it's not fuel related. Unless the timing is too advanced, which wouldn't happen unless somebody messed with it. I hadn't ever thought of engine problems, assumed it was transmission, but you never said anything to indicate it was the transmission.
I was focusing on the transmission as well and never gave a thought to the engine power. I have plenty of experience with gasoline engines but this is my first diesel so I have to educate myself. Not having to worry about an ignition system is terrific and I can see why people are diehard about their diesels. Thanks for all your help. The trans dump valve cable is broken off and I'm going to repair that as well.
Do you have tachometer? or does the engine obviously loose speed when you slow down pushing something?
the tractor does not have a tachometer and I have a tachometer for a gasoline engine (designed to connect to the spark plug) but I don't know how I could use it on a diesel. I will have to try it again to make note of the sound of the engine when pushing up against a tree.
I have a 5550, which is the previous model. No turbo on mine, but if I put it in first and try to move the mountain, it will spin the rear tires with no problem. Second too if the ground is loose. Those are real strong mothers when everything is right....
The most likely answer is going to be weak hydraulic pump. 750 and 7500 both have tremendous power to spin under your conditions. You will probably see slow swing speed if the dipper stick is really loaded.
If that tractor is smoking black bad the fuel filters are plugged. Had one of those and it was that way. Yes it should spin the tires in 1st gear.
Hi, new here. I more recently acquired a 750 TLB with similar issues. I just finished overhauling the engine since it was seized, new turbo, etc. Got her running now. However, the machine barely moves in 1st when I floor it, and not at all in 2nd or 3rd. Same results in fwd or reverse. Also, the machine doesn't seem to roll, so I'm suspecting some sort of stuck brake issue could be part of it, likely the hand brake. I also read in another forum that there is a "dump valve", which apparently bypasses the transmission's power in some way. There is a pull-out lever on the side of the steering column that actuates it, but I don't think it's doing anything. I don't have a service manual unfortunately. Any help diagnosing the issue would be much appreciated. P.S. if someone had a manual, please PM me.
Try moving the tractor with the stabilizers and bucket just off the ground, and try to roll it back and forth with the backhoe. Do it someplace that is level and hard packed dirt. It should roll if you don't have a brake dragging. This test gets the transmission or brake issues out of the way; you're not using them.... I'm guessing the dump valve is another way of getting the transmission into neutral so you can rev up the engine to make the front bucket lift quicker. I don't have one, so I put the shuttle lever in neutral and press the gas pedal. They have a lot of new stuff on hoes, things that weren't there 42 years ago... If you determine it's not a brake issue, it's pointing to the torque convertor as the problem. THAT has to work for you to move the tractor. If it had worked in reverse and no forward, those are the clutch packs for the shuttle being bad. Thinking about it, you still could have both clutch packs not working and get your symptom...but more likely the convertor.
Oops, wrong thread. I think that tractor has a transmission charge pump. It may be bypassing fluid. But the smoke does indicate loss of air flow. Welding on the turbo housing could seize the bearing and not allow turbo to turn.
You might want to do a torque converter stall test. machines of that vintage usually have a lot of hours on them and the converters are weak.