Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 7500 Backhoe Boom Lift Cylinder

Kjdean66 ยท 2017-06-07 20:34

I was wondering if anyone had any specs on this cylinder? Cylinder Bore. Eye to Eye length Closed. Stroke. Rated PSI. the only thing I know is the rod dia. 2.50" I had a problem where the gland blew off the end of the rod - I removed cylinder and took it to local Hyd. repair shop. they are now telling me they need to make a new rod for this as the rod was repaired once before & now they cannot repair again. this is all fine & dandy - but the repair bill is $1000.00 plus. I was wondering if I can just but an aftermaket cylinder for better price. The shop is refusing to give me back my parts unless I pay for the disassembly & the rebuild kit - that I cannot use unless I have a new rod - to the tune of $300.00. i will forget about the cylinder if I can find the right one. Thanks in advance.

Replies6
  1. #1Welder Dave2017-06-07 20:48

    I bet if a new cylinder was available it would be several thousand dollars. This is an industrial cylinder and a fairly large one at that. You don't want to put a "farm" or utility cylinder on it. $1000 seems reasonable to me. I spent more than that getting a stick cylinder repaired on my 931B backhoe. The bolt holding the piston pulled out and they wanted to build a new rod but I suggested just drilling the hole for the next bigger size bolt and drilling the piston to match. That saved me a couple hundred bucks but they said there was a slight bend in the rod so they straightened that and then had to polish the rod etc. It cost $1300 in the end. I think a new Cat cylinder was $4500-$5000! The cylinder has all new seals, doesn't creep at all and is the proper cylinder for the hoe. It was expensive but I don't think a new cylinder for the same price as the repair is going to be of the same HD design and won't last long.

  2. #2Delmer2017-06-07 23:58

    You could pay their bill and take your parts to another shop. You're not going to substitute a cylinder. You could try looking for a good used cylinder, the boom cylinder should be easier to find than a GOOD outrigger or bucket cylinder, those are the first to get trashed. Machinerytrader parts search.

  3. #3berky2017-06-08 06:12

    Forget that cylinder repair shop doing the repair. I would check with several of the used industrial salvage yards. Should be able to pick up a used one for less than $400. New kit should be less than $100. They are fairly easy to do yourself. Hardest part will be to break the piston nut, but you can reinstall the removed rod back on the hoe to help hold it steady.

  4. #4Welder Dave2017-06-09 00:12

    You do realize his gland blew off indicating damage to the rod and not just needing a seal kit? A used cylinder is great if you can find one. I would guess a Ford 7500 is pushing 40+ years old.

  5. #5mikebramel2017-06-09 10:21

    Well, the gland blowing out of the tube probably means the threads on the tube and head gland would be gone. But, I think he means the rod clevis or piston threads on the rod?

  6. #6Tinkerer2017-06-09 10:56

    That is a fair price for what they did and the kit. So, for an additional $700 you would have a like new cylinder. I would jump on a deal like that. A used cylinder is just that, a used cylinder. You could end up putting more into it than the purchase price. The one you have now is a good example, the shop that has it told you the rod has had a previous repair and you were probably unaware of it.