Was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Backhoe boom lift control. I was digging & caught a root and trying to work bucket out... I heard a loud "pop". Now I I have no control over boom lift. I still have boom extend & bucket control... I have no blown lines or leaking. Is this just a control valve problem ??
The last loud pop I heard in this type of condition was the cylinder piston stripping off the rod.
Yep, I had the same thing happen on the stick cylinder on my Cat hoe. It pulled the bolt holding the piston to the rod out. Had to take the cylinder off to get it repaired. I think the bolt may have been slightly loose though because that cylinder creeped a bit.
Do you still have down pressure? if you hold it long enough? No wait, don't circulate the contamination. Take one hose off the cylinder, cap the line coming to it, run the hose from the cylinder into a bucket to catch the oil. Try the controls to the other side of the cylinder, if oil comes out without the rod moving, time to rebuild the cylinder. You probably want to stretch the boom out and arrange so you can get the gland and rod out with the cylinder left in place. Or figure out how to lift the whole cylinder out if you want somebody else to take it apart.
I did not even think about the cylinder piston... well at least this time something broke I did not get a hydraulic shower... Thanks everyone for your input... I will let you know if this is the problem...