Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford A66 Engine swap

Weldfixer · 2024-01-01 08:48

Hi All ! Just joined today! Happy New Year ! I have a Ford A66 that got water in the oil from electrolosys ford 401 engine. I want to switch to cummins or something else, I have an Allis 3500 series 426 from a tractor, also 3208 cat and 7.6 liter ford. Allison TT2421-1 . What does SAE bell housing mean ? TIA for all replies John

Replies5
  1. #1Dave Neubert2024-01-06 19:44

    SAE society of automotive Engineers it is a standard for things. you have a sae 1,2,3 bellhousing the diameter and bot spacing are a set standard

  2. #2Welder Dave2024-01-07 00:03

    Why not look for the same engine out of a Ford tractor. It was a popular engine and good on fuel.

  3. #3chestypuller2024-01-07 01:19

    3208cat is a sae #2 i believe dont quote me on it tho

  4. #4Weldfixer2024-01-07 14:57

    Thanks Sae 3,4 must refer to bolt pattern that attach to transmission. I also need bolt pattern for my 7.8 liter ford. If I replace with same engine I am risking electrolysis that has already occured, as 401 ford is known for that?

  5. #5Welder Dave2024-01-07 16:31

    You also want to put in an engine of similar HP. The drive train might not handle an additional 40 or more HP.