Pics attatched. I need a starter but I cannot find anything on this engine. The starter has no ID. Thanks for any help.
Well it appears to be from an Onan set, do you have the data plate from the complete set ? It would make it a lot easier to identify if you did. That said back in the day you could provide that Ford Type and Serial number to a Ford dealer and they could look it up for you. I don't know if there are any Ford industrial dealers that would have documentation for one this old. Go over to Smokstak and post this, there is a lot of Onan info on the site as well as links to download service, parts and owners manuals. If you have a "good" Napa store locally they may be a source for the correct starter. Also their were a number of starters used on Ford specialty applications back then that would all interchange, if you are just interested in starting it you don't need anything fancy.
Need more info on the motor. 4 cylinder? 2.3l, would be a pinto or mustang 2 engine. When dealing with Ford industrial, a GOOD guy at the local auto parts is a must. It would be easier to steal classified cia info than find anything on a Ford industrial engine. Ed
Kinda resembles an old Ford 292 Y block V8 looking at that distributor orientation
I agree a Ford 292
The starter may or may not be the same as a light truck starter using the same engine. Is it completely missing or does it just need repair?
Can you show us a picture of the starter? Probably a Motorcraft SA-519. Or a NAPA RAY 2449609. Which does not have the inertia drive. That’s a NAPA Bk6561091. wilson electric offeres a brand new complete unit WIL 91025788N
Yep, an old Y block. A starter motor for a 272, 292 or 312 most likely will fit, anything from 1956 to 61 area.
I agree on the Y block engine. I had a 64 Ford F100 with one many years ago. The engine in the photo appears to be needing more that a starter though.
At the ford dealer where i did my apprenticeship, we worked on the old 272's and 292's in medium duty trucks, mostly in old single axle grain trucks. The earliest ones i believe were smaller than 272 but off the top of my head i can't recall. The starter also may be a prestolite
The first year was a 239 cu. in., same as the flat head V8. Mercury I believe was a 317 cu.in. I played with the old Y block alot as a kid. My first real driving car was a 1960 Galaxy with a 292 in it. Bought it for $25.00 with a bad motor and put a rebuilt short block in it. After less than 40,000 miles it started to smoke something terrible, looked like a 2 stroke coming down the road. I talked to everyone I knew and looked into it as much as I could but finally junked the car. A year or two later I was talking to an old mechanic and the subject of this car came up. He asked if it had vacuum wipers which it did so he told me to check the diaphragm in the fuel pump. Sure enough, it had a hole in it so it was sucking oil out of the crankcase and dumping it right into the intake. That engine along with a bunch of others is still sitting in my brothers shed but I think he claims they are his now.
Got a good auto electric place nearby?
Pics of starter couldn't cross anything from numbers
Yep, Auto-Lite. What do you need or are the brushes just stuck? Old Standard Ignition catalogues should list that starter by the auto-lite number
It must need brushes I just wanted to buy a new one but I can't find one running the numbers
Looks just like my 1959 Onan model "EF" generator set. 292ci "Y" block as mentioned. I use mine quite a bit still. 50KVA 240VAC 3ph powerhouse and outputs very clean AC voltage.
Unfortunately it seems that only old guys know what a Standard Ignition catalogue is anymore. To be honest, I'm not sure I even have any around anymore.
I'd be stopping at a few parts houses and just take a look at the people behind the counter. If they don't have grey hair or look like they lost it all years ago walk out. If the guy walks with a bit of a limp. Hand him the starter and he will probably shuffle to the back and come back with one!
on your old starter, remove the band on the commutator end and see how the brushes are or if they are stuck. you should also be able to tell if the commutator is in reasonable shape. was the starter working? with this being an industrial engine, the flywheel housing looks different from an automotive application so an automotive starter may not fit
This should be something a starter rebuild shop could do with their eyes closed. Could be mailed if you don't have one near.
All of the Y blocks in automotive used a three bolt starter-I had two 56 ford pickups one with a 292 the other a 312. Both used a three bolt starter. That starter above is auto lite industrial never seen a ford v8 in those years with that type of starter. Below is a high torque for automotive use {note three bolt} and if you scroll to bottom it will bring up everything it fits in those years. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9002/make/ford
https://www.amscovf.com/AUTOLITE-STARTER-PARTS_c_33515.html