We have a KTA2300 Genset from 70's here at work and the PT pump is leaking fuel and needs to be rebuilt/resealed. How difficult is this to do ? I have pulled them off 855 Small cams before and this one looks the same but there is no air compressor. The PT pump is driven by an old Woodward hydraulic governor(basically in place of the air compressor) . I know there is no timing involved with these but I am not sure if I will have to mess with the governor once the new pump is in or this one rebuilt. Also it looks very tight to get to one of the 4 bigger 12 pt bolts (bottom mounting inside towards motor). If I can't get that bolt out then I would assume I have to pull the Woodward Governor and PT all in one ? Has anyone done this job ?
I need to clarify, I only need to pull the pump and reinstall it. We will send it out for rebuild.
I am hoping these 4 bolts are all I need to remove however inside bottom looks very tight.
For reference this is the whole unit. 12 cyl Cummins circa 1977. about 200 hrs.
There is a special made 11/16 wrench for getting that bolt out most older Cummins mechanics should have one . Don't know what new availability is.
I remember them as ⁷/¹⁶ 12 pt with a J shaped wrench that got right in there.
The Snap-on M1329.
you`re right forgot to mention that one . there are 2
Or with a little help from a heating tip you can make your own. Might want to hit Harbor Fright and buy a couple 7/16 wrenches to work with.
Site called apex industries sells a lot of the cummins specialty tools, or at least gives you an idea for what you need to fab.