Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford f650 with cat c7 acert crank no start

Abbott187 · 2024-09-15 12:53

At first the truck stopped working on the highway and a cloud of smoke came out the exhaust and a fast clicking noise from under the steering. Tried to start it again but it would just crank and no start. Towed it home and changed the fuel filter and fuel water separator still nothing. Codes showed for a few things 3 of them were about the injectors so i opened the valve cover and saw 3 wires cut for the injectors so i replaced the injector harness and it actually started running better than before. But that was only for less than a minute and again a bunch of smoke came out the exhaust with clicking noise then this time i turned it off then i was back to square one. Crank no start. I checked the fuel pressure when i crank its at 60psi but the hand pump doesnt stay stiff. As soon as i let go the pressure rapidly drops to zero. I checked the oil pressure and i have zero oil pressure when cranking. Is this my problem? Any help is appreciated ive been sitting like this for 4 weeks

Replies23
  1. #1Coaldust2024-09-15 14:08

    Welcome to the HEF. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. So, it sounds like the injector harness is brittle and falling apart. It’s almost impossible to fix those wires when they get like that. I’d replace the entire harness under the valve cover and try again. I’m a little confused. You were talking about fuel pressure and oil pressure. Are you saying there is no oil pressure while cranking?

  2. #2Abbott1872024-09-15 15:04

    I did replace it thats when it started briefly and then a bunch of smoke came out the exhaust and idled very rough. So i turned it off then tried to restart and it just cranks

  3. #3Coaldust2024-09-15 15:30

    Gotcha. Next, check the rocker arms for loose lifters. My old fleet of C7’s did like to munch cam followers and the symptoms are the same as you describe.

  4. #4Abbott1872024-09-15 15:33

    4 of them have a little bit of play and 2 are solid and do not move at all

  5. #5Coaldust2024-09-15 15:42

    Maybe have someone crank it over and watch the valve train for a few revolutions, just to be sure.

  6. #6Coaldust2024-09-15 15:43

    What’s the serial and arr#? How many miles?

  7. #7Abbott1872024-09-15 15:44

    C7s01086 220000

  8. #8Abbott1872024-09-15 15:45

    Ill try that but if thats not the problem whats next? Does it mean anything when im cranking and have 0 oil pressure?

  9. #9Abbott1872024-09-15 15:46

    Whats arr#?

  10. #10Coaldust2024-09-15 15:47

    Back to the oil pressure; Where did you connect your test gauge at? What does the engine oil look like? Any fuel dilution?

  11. #11Coaldust2024-09-15 15:48

    The arrangement number gets important later on when we start buying parts and looking for specs. We can skip that for now.

  12. #12Abbott1872024-09-15 15:49

    Connected it to the oil manifold And also checked on the scanner live data was reading 3.9psi or 27kpa

  13. #13Abbott1872024-09-15 15:51

    I normally change the oil every 4k miles with the filter cause the truck leaks from somewhere i have no idea. And when it stopped one of the first things i did was an oil change

  14. #14Coaldust2024-09-15 15:52

    Roger that. Alrighty, I would unplug the IAP sensor and see if it starts. I bet it does.

  15. #15Abbott1872024-09-15 15:53

    Haha ive been looking for this i dont know where to find it

  16. #16Coaldust2024-09-15 15:53

    I would watch the injectors as you crank it over and make sure one of them isn’t spewing engine oil.

  17. #17Abbott1872024-09-15 15:55

    No engine oil from injectors

  18. #18Coaldust2024-09-15 15:55

    Driver side. Front. On top.

  19. #19Abbott1872024-09-15 16:11

    not sure how well you can see the picture but this is what im working with.

  20. #20Tyler d4c2024-09-15 16:12

    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the c7s prefix the last hora common rail c7?

  21. #21Abbott1872024-09-15 16:13

    Thats right i forget to add the s, full serial number is c7s01086

  22. #22Coaldust2024-09-15 16:22

    I’m going to step away for a bit. Apparently, someone is trying to assassinate 45, again.

  23. #23Abbott1872024-09-15 16:28

    i appreciate your help when you get back this is when im at