pickuptrucks.com video: 3.5L Ecoboost twin turbo (400 hp?) F-150 is rated to tow 11,300 lbs! Ford press release All 2011 F-150 engines are +20% fuel efficiency. The details are not yet all there (exact hp and fuel efficiency of the EcoBoost being my first questions), but it's clear that Ford will try to make fuel efficiency a selling point in American pickup trucks. I think the F-150 is not only the most-sold pickup truck in the world, it is also the best-selling automobile in the world. Seems the competition in this class will eventually be motivated to answer the challenge of a 20% reduction in fuel cost, once Americans get used to that savings. I think I can hear light-duty diesels coming. L
It's about time. I hope Ford can do better than the powerjoke when it comes to reliability. I really really mean that. I would love to buy a Ford since they were the only US automaker not to sign a deal with the devil (bailout).
On closer inspection, I see that Ford is saying the EcoBoost can increase fuel efficiency "up to 20% versus 2010 model year F-150 5.4-liter V8." The 2010 V8 F-150 4x4 was rated 14 mpg City/18 mpg HWY. So the EcoBoost might rate at 16.8 mpg City/21.6 mpg HWY. Now I really hear diesels coming. They got to be able to make better fuel economy than that, and I can't believe Ford's going to be selling that twin-turbo creature any cheaper than they could a light diesel. L
Last time I looked, which was a couple of years ago, GM, with their Chev and GMC brand pickups combined, outsold Ford by a good margin. The public never heard much about that, and I always wondered why GM kept quiet on the issue. No doubt about it however, today's light truck diesels are far, far superior to anything we have seen in the past. I had an 08 Duramax for a while, wonderful truck for power and all around comfort and driving. Now I drive a 93 GMrolet (a wrecked GMC and a wrecked Chev put together) with a 6.5T. no comparison to the Duramax in any way.
I heard the problem was more Ford then International. I ain't heard much about fords new 6.7s yet so only time will tell. I too think its funny that GM never brings up they way out sell Ford.
close, but no cigar http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/04/march-2010-top-10-yeartodate-pickup-truck-sales.html No. 1: Ford F-Series 103,039 +26.3% YTD March 2010: 42,514 March 2009: 32,728 No. 2: Chevrolet Silverado 72,480 +7.7% YTD March 2010: 29,886 March 2009: 23,508 No. 5: GMC Sierra 23,502 +4.4% YTD March 2010: 9,935 March 2009: 8,088 here's the data for 09 http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/0...-date-sales-figures-for-fullsize-pickups.html
I have a 2006 f250 d and I get 21 on the freeway @ 69 mgh
When I was a volunteer firefighter I put out several Ford Fires I won't be buying one any time. Besides any of you guys ever read what was written about Ford trucks in the Lemonade book? Only three letters come to my mind POS!
According to Motor Trend, GM has restarted the 4.5 Duramax project for 1500 pickups and maybe some 2500. The hp and torque ratings are near same as the initial numbers on the 6.6 DMax when released in 01. Those were 300 hp and 520 ft pounds or so. That would make for a very capable half ton pickup. Give me 25 mpg with 500 foot pounds and I am interested.
As I recall in a former thread 25MPG won't be good enough. You'll need 29 MPG to satisfy the feds for a half ton pickup
I'd definitely be interested in a half ton or even a quarter ton with a diesel. I like my Colorado and the five banger has nice power and torque but to have a diesel that size would be sweet.
It would have to have tall set a gears I would think to pull that off, but ok I would do 29 mpg.
the mahindra pick up that was supposed to be coming to the U.S. was advertised as getting 30mpg out of a 4 cylinder diesel. it seemed like a nice truck.
My 1992 Dodge Cummins, 160 horsepower, 5 speed gets 18 mpg. With todays technology, I wonder what kind of mileage would a comparable powertrain truck get? My point is, if a 2010 Dodge Cummins had 160 HP instead of 350, what would the mileage be? I sure dont need a 350 horse pick up, of course I dont tow a backhoe around town either. But, thinking about it, 99 out of 100 diesel pick ups I see aren't towing anything. I bet that 350 horse cummins could be made into a 200 horse 4 banger and get mileage in the high 20's. I'm not saying 350 horse pick ups shouldn't be available, but if thats all they offer, thats all that will be sold.
My '07 dodge 5.9 6 speed 3.73 dually quad cab long bed got exactly 20 miles per imperial gallon on the last tank. It has 488,000 on the odometer. That was mostly city driving, not towing. Based on that, i don't know why we aren't all driving small diesels. I do see a lot of volkswagons on the roads these days. I know VW is doing well financially, they must be selling some cars.
I also wonder what cummins is going to do to respond to the new ford. Any news on that?
My 02 250 power stroke get 21 @ 60 mph