Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford Fseries truck?

wilddanz71 ยท 2008-11-08 18:56

I am in the market for a used mid size dump truck, I found a ford Fseries dump truck. I dont know much about the truck at all. It said on the window that it was a deisel, A/T and had 65K miles I think it is about a F650 size, but it did not say, all it said was FSERIES on the side. This truck was near flawless, all new paint, tarp, rubber. I am not sure of the year, I looked at the tag on the fuel tank and it said the MFG. date was 9/06. I dont know if that tag was just for the tank, or for the truck? It could be a replacement tank? I wish I had taken pics so you guys could see it. If I had to guess I would say it was a 6-8 yd. dump. I am hoping it is just under 26,000gvwr I cound not open the door to check the tag.The price was $17,900 It looks to be a great deal!! what do you guys think????

Replies11
  1. #1cat3202008-11-09 09:58

    what dealer had it? maybe they info online about it?

  2. #2wilddanz712008-11-09 18:06

    it was at a small I mean small dealer on route 20 in Auburn MA. I am not sure that they would have a website or even if it was listed on comercial truck trader.com I have to wait a few days to see if I get a job I bid on. this will determine if I am even going to look at it again. If any one has a truck similar I would love to hear a little about them. Thanks Dan

  3. #3Freightrain2008-11-10 09:23

    I can't believe you could get a real '06 F650(likely little CAT/Allison) for $17K I'm betting it's around a mid 90's model for that kind of money. Even just a front end shot would get us in the ball park of what year. Look something like this? http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/find/listing/1995-FORD-F650-93685958

  4. #4wilddanz712008-11-10 16:09

    I agree, I think it is a mid 90's like I said before the tag on the fuel tank said it was MFG 09/06. Now I am assuming that this date must be for the MFG date of the tank not for the truck. and yes the front end looks very similar to the one in your link. So even if it is a mid 90's with that kind of milege and in exelent condition with a deisel and A/T and all new paint and rubber. Is that a good price for this truck? If I take a look at it again this week, I will take a few pics.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2008-11-10 21:11

    When you go back, copy the VIN located in the lower left corner of the windshield. The model year is encoded in that.

  6. #6Freightrain2008-11-11 09:28

    I'd say, as from the ad I posted, the price is comparable. How many miles?(probably digital odometer, so you can't look in window and see mileage). Does it have a trailer hitch? If it does, wonder how badly it's been overloaded? With auto tranny I'd be watchful. If you get the chance, sniff the fluid and see if it smells burnt. How "red" is it?

  7. #7cat3202008-11-11 10:31

    there is an 06 f650 with the 6.0 auto for like $42,000

  8. #8wilddanz712008-11-11 12:12

    The truck has 65,000 miles on it. And yes it had a trailer hitch. There was a trailer and a backhoe for sale next to it, so I am asumeing that it was used to pull them. with that kind of milege, I would not think the tranny could be that bad, could it? a trailer and backhoe cant be to much of a work out for that truck?, plus it looked very well maintained. I will take your advise about the tranny fluid. thanks If this truck is a 26k gvwr, how much can I tow with it? can I tow my 15k backhoe? how about my 22k lull forklift. And if I absulutly had to could I tow my 120 excavator (24k-26K)? with the right trailer I am asuming.

  9. #990plow2008-11-11 18:40

    We have an F-650 and a friend of mine has the same one but auto. Let me tell you his truck is a complete dog and I hate driving it. The manual trans is the only way to go unless you spend the big bucks and get a big tranny. I don't think youd be able to carry anything more than that backhoe and even that would be pushing it without air brakes and a jake or exhaust brake. -Eric

  10. #10CM19952008-11-11 20:29

    Take a look at this thread for some insite on towing

  11. #11Freightrain2008-11-12 10:14

    Why are you concerned with 26K gvw? CDL? With any of the toys you plan on towing, you'd need it anyway. Any trailer plated over 10K needs one anyway. The truck will likely pull anything you put behind it,,,but it will be SLOWWW.