what size dump truck do you need to move a 160 series excavator legally? what is the minimun GVW you can get away with?
I do believe it is 33,000 lbs for the truck and then a 20 ton tag trailer will do you just fine.
i would be ruining my pants if i had to tow a 16 ton trackhoe with a single axle dump....we have moved our 15ton with a 20 ton tag and a 10-wheeler, but only when absolutely needed...we normally move it with a 35ton lowboy
does a chevy 8500 have enough cgvw?
All depends what you have it registered at. we have our single axle F-800 gcwv at 48,000. But id be looking for a tandem and a 20 ton trailer for the MINIMUM setup id use. I dont think id even want to haul a 120 with a single axle.
I move my 320 with the Pete 330 6 wheeler and a 20 ton tag, I was way overweight, but I had to get it to the job, it was a sewer emergency. Normally I use my Tractor and Lowbed.
Just my opinion....It is not about what is legal it is about what is safe and responsible.We generally move our 135's on a tag behind a tri-axle.You know it is back there and sometimes it is hard to relax when you are on a rolly twisty road. Now the 160 is very different. You always know it is back there and even with a big ol tri-axle sometimes it feels like the hoe and trailer are driving not the truck. It is crititcal to make sure you have very good tongue weight. I have went over rail road grades and have felt the rear tires get light and spin a bit. I could not IMAGINE towing with a single axle. Physics is physics you cant argue it.
Not trying to hyjack, but what size minimum truck and trailer, would I need to move my 120, Is it at all possible that a F650 or a gmc 6500 could move it
Just my opinion....It is not about what is legal it is about what is safe and responsible.We generally move our 135's on a tag behind a tri-axle.You know it is back there and sometimes it is hard to relax when you are on a rolly twisty road. Now the 160 is very different. You always know it is back there and even with a big ol tri-axle sometimes it feels like the hoe and trailer are driving not the truck. It is critical to make sure you have very good tongue weight. I have went over rail road grades and have felt the rear tires get light and spin a bit. I could not IMAGINE towing with a single axle. Physics is physics you cant argue it. DANGER DANGER DANGER....That would just scream unprofessionalism
We onced moved a 321 on a 42k tandem tag with a tandem dump. Way, way overweight and not safe at all, not to mention the abuse put on the truck and trailer. We were moving it a couple of miles and I will never do something like that again . ( Not something to be proud about ) Now to answer the original question, the ultimate tag trailer/ dump set up would be a tri-axle tag with lift axle and a tri-axle dump. I would not even consider moving a 120/312 or 160/315 size machine with a single axle regardless of the trucks GVW, that is just asking for a catastrophy. The maximum trailer (common sense wise) for a 33K GVW truck is a 20K tag.
I moved my 150 with a 10 wheeler and 20 ton tag, not something I would do every day. My truck weighs 22,000 lbs and has a 56,000 gvw. I pay a low bed to do it, easier, safer, and cheaper in the long run. My truck with a 12 ton tag pulling up to 20,000 lbs does fine, pulling over 35,000 lbs not safe at all, can be done once in while but not safe.
I've moved our 120 size hoe with the single axle, but it is safer behind the tandem, not that it cant be done with proper tongue weight and going easy, but the biggest machine I really care to move with the single axle (33K GVW) is the 8 Ton machine. I would never move a 160 with the single, yes I would with the tandem. I have a very good friend that moves his 160 with his tandem on a regular basis and has no trouble, he has a 20 ton trailer and really should have a 25 ton trailer. If I had a 25 ton trailer I would have no problem with moving a 200 size machine with our tandem, I would not go very fast though. With a 25 ton trailer I would move the 160 with the tandem and feel very good about it. I hate it when guys load up and head down the road 60MPH and say the can't even tell it's back there. Moving the 8 ton machine with the tandem, you can tell it's back there, it doesnt shove you all over but you can feel it.
What motor trans combo in the 330? How did it go down the road?
It was a Cat 300 H.P. with an Allison automatic. It went along nice, a little sluggish to start off but once it got going it was good. I will never do that again though. We use the Lowbed to move everything, with the exception of the mini excavators and the backhoes. I got a friend who drives for a big demo company that has a PC1250. When he moves it he weighs 225,000 lbs! They should be moving it in 5 loads instead of 2.
Yeah, EEK is right, more like double eek. I've done some crazy things, but that by far is to crazy. The most I've ever weighed with the lowbed was 152,000. It was a mid night move. I would never attempt anything over that, thats just stupidity and asking for trouble. You could get in an accident, or fall through a bridge. Massachusetts bridges are falling apart anyways.
Man do views on weight vary. Trucks around here routinely gross out at 164,000 lbs. This is without permit, its a legal plate. Most commonly for a dump truck. Doesnt take much to punch those numbers up on a lowboy
It honestly doesnt matter if it is legal or not. I have been "legal" and felt like a controlled wreck the whole time. It is about safety. It is not worth the risk to run down the road if you are simply not comfortable
My lowbed is overweight by a ton or 2 when moving the PC400s. I put PC300 stickers on a PC400, the D.O.T will drive up see its a 300 and know that I'm under the legal limit for weight. To move a 400 or 345 I think you need to drop the cwt, or at least the bucket.
At 225000 you still have 25k of weight to play with with a west coast rig. _22 500 steering _47 750 drivers _60 000 16 tire _60 000 16 tire +60 000 16 tire 250250 lbs This is why you see lowboy tractors with 2 speed rear ends with oil cooling, sliding 5th wheels that almost hit the back of the cab and all kinds of crazy stuff.
Perfect Solution I have a 1984 Kenworth W900 setup with a Pierce 35 ton lowboy... You can buy the combo and haul that machine anywhere you want! You can see pictures of it hauling my 120 size machine and my D6d at www.petersfamilytrucking.com
I move my 160 with a triaxle truck and a 25 on tag.