Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford Hoe Pins?

buckeye backhoe ยท 2008-05-20 16:17

I need the swing pins and bushings for a 1974 4500 ford with the 755 hoe on it. I called the local dealer today and about fell over.Over $850 for 2 pins and the bushings. Do any of you folks know a better place to buy these things? Thanks in advance. BB

Replies5
  1. #1bear2008-05-21 04:17

    I'd try a good machine shop personally. They should have the tooling to make and treat (hardening, tempering,) whatever you need. Get the specs for the pins and see what they can make them for. Around here, can't speak for the rest of the world, this is the way to go, not always faster but usually much less expensive, if it's something not very complicated.

  2. #2xalexjx2008-05-21 07:08

    Did you get a quote from a Newholland dealer? Most prices on there stuff is a little high.. You might be able to get them from a case dealer.. Id try calling a few places..

  3. #3carlm933g2008-05-21 16:03

    Hi, First post. You might want to try messicks (google them). They sell New Holland (and Ford) parts on their website. They have pretty good prices, too...

  4. #4OneWelder2008-05-21 21:10

    Post a picture with sizes , somebody on here maybe able guide you to a ready made substitute that is a close fit. If not try going to a hydrolulic repair place, if you can find a junk cyl. rod the right dia. they are case hardened, chromed, and have a soft center. I have had good luck with them when i have had to make up pins.

  5. #5Chuck2008-05-22 13:11

    I've been through this before, and not too long ago. The pins for those are supposed to be hard and the bushings are just plain steel. If you've not already taken it apart, I'd make sure you really need both because usually the pin is fine but the bushing is shot. That bushing measures 2-1/2" ID and is 1/4" wall. Mcmaster Carr sells a 1026 steel tubing that works quite nicely and is like $35/foot if I remember right. They've also got some precision ground 2-1/2" rod stock that can be hardened to make the pins. Both the pins and bushings will need to be cross drilled. The bushings will also need a ring cut around the outside and a couple small holes drilled for grease paths. Buy utilizing the available materials they've got, you should be able to get by with very minimal machinist work, if any at all.