Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580d

schwa54 ยท 2008-05-23 20:38

We had bought a case 1981 4x4 case 580d backhoe and at first everything was good. After about two or three hours of working it, it doesn't seem to want to come all the way out of forward. In neutral it seems like it is in forward but not full forward but will still move forward. When in reverse it acts as if reverse and forward are both in. It doesn't want to move backwards hardly at all. At one point it went back to working normally but went back to being half stuck in forward again. So anyone have an idea what could cause this? Now for the second question. I didn't get a manual with it as I was supposed to and kinda loss on fluid locations. I know there is a dip stick in the floor in front of the seat and a tank on top side of the gas tank. What would these be? The tank that is with the gas tank has a dip stick and it really appears to not be much of anything in it. Also where is the hydraulic and brake fluids? I want to check all the fluids as the company we bought it from supposed to do maintenance before delivery but it doesn't appear that way. Thanks in advanced for anyone that can lend a hand. Guess I'll have to hurry up and order some manuals. Learning new equipment is ever so fun!

Replies10
  1. #1Goose2008-05-23 23:29

    As far as your shuttle problem the bellville spring in your forward clutch pac is broken up and parts are wedged around the piston keeping it partly engaged. You will have good forward, partial forward in reverse and sluggish in reverse because you are still trying to go forward due to the drag of the clutch and reverse at the same time. The tank with the dipstick right of the fuel tank is your hydraulic tank. The oil level should be in the hash marks on the dipstick. The dipstick for your shuttle oil is on the right side in the engine compartment right above the starter. You need to check the oil in the shuttle with the engine running, but you will have to get your shuttle rebuilt before you need to worry about that oil. There will be a dipstick behind the 4 speed shifter and through the cab floor for the rear axle and if it is a 4x4 there is a level plug on the transfer case. The brake reservoir is behind the instrument panel. You filled eary machines at the master cylinder and the later machines were filled by the hydraulic system. If it has the master cylinders that you have to fill, it should take hydraulic fluid not dot3. Make sure what brake system you have before you add any brake oil or you could create problems there.

  2. #2BBarnhart2008-05-26 18:23

    Have a similar problem in a 580 super e. It will not go forward at all...will barely rock forward. THe reverse works fine. Have changed oil, checked level and moved lever forward and back several times to refill cavaties. Still the same. Solutions anyone?? thanks

  3. #3Goose2008-05-27 22:11

    The problem on your 580SE is also in the shuttle which is the same as the 580D. Usually when the machine has no drive in forward it is low on oil or the seals on the forward clutch piston are leaking. It could be the bellville spring broken but the pieces are wedged between the piston and the pressure plate, but usually there will be or have been the same sympton as the 580D. I would bet on the oil level being low or the seals in the forward clutch being blown.

  4. #4BBarnhart2008-05-27 22:44

    thanks for the info. have drained and refilled the shuttle twice, rocked the lever to forward and reverse numerous times to fill cavaties and the level on the stick is over full if anything. Yanked the pan and cleaned the screen. still no forward. If i put the hoe stands down and lift the rear tires it will fly in reverse but only barely spins in forward. I can keep the tires from moving just by holding. Sounds like going to have to go inside the shuttle or replace?

  5. #5bqz2008-05-28 14:10

    BBarnhart here's a link that shows a picture of the shuttle as you know I have same problem. http://www.equipmentpartssource.com/onlinestore/store_shuttle2a.php Hope it helps. Let me know what you find out so I'll know where to look for when I take mine a part.

  6. #6schwa542008-05-31 14:13

    Thanks goose.... Found the masters behind the dash and sure enough the right side was bone dry. So add that to the list of things that wasn't checked before it was delivered. Guess it was a good thing I looked behind the dash as well. Nothing like arching wires. The more I learn the more that I notice things that is wrong with it. The backhoe seems to be in pretty bad shape. I finally got the service manual so I have been working on the wiring problems. We called the company we bought it from and gave them a good talking. Sad that something breaks down the first day you had it. Seems they are going to send a repair crew down and try to get to the bottom of everything at their expense since it was in such bad shape from the start. Hopefully it isn't a fight with them to get something done as it has been a bit tough thus far. Soon as I hear more I'll follow up on this thread with the answer to the problem with the shuttle.

  7. #7George catman2013-04-27 23:18

    Hi All, Attended a breakdown onsite the other day and advised customer that the shuttle would have to be removed as there was an issue with it. Thought I might read up on 580D s for a bit of mind refreshing . The 580d on site drives forward in forward gear, forward in neutral gear, and locks up in reverse gear and won't move at all. I did remember as an apprentice doing shuttles in 580es with broken beval washer, but just can't remember if we needed any specialty tools? I remember a guy in Australia telling me once he could rebuild a shuttle in around 4 hrs, ? Wonder if that was a load of bull!?%#?

  8. #8sheepfoot2013-04-28 23:01

    He was telling it right, but you have to have your ducks in a row. Tools, parts washer, shop air, work table. We did both 2 and 4wd in a day in the shop, that's steaming, removing, tare down, replace convertor, flush the cooler, building it back, and install and check. We also had customers that just wanted the clutch spring replaced and put back together. In younger days I could pull them by hand and put them back in by hand (not so now). Some step plates, feeler gauge, dial indicator, small press, and a way to ream the cover bushing if you changed it out. We had a lot of customers that would bring the shuttle in at 8 and leave by 11:30 with it rebuilt and a new flex plate bolted to a new/re man convertor, sending a cheap gear lube pump with them to flush the cooler if they wanted. Have also built a lot on the side of the road, construction sites, back yards, with the 5 gal parts washing bucket/ portable safety clean vat over the years.

  9. #9BRO2013-07-03 05:56

    Bleeding the BRAKES on a 580D is """DIFFERENT"""" BLEEDING the BRAKES on a 580D is """DIFFERENT"""" I have a CD Service Manuel , it says I need to Connect a """PRESSURE FLUID TANK"""""to each Master Cylinder and Bleed Slave Cylinder also called Wheel Cylinder that sits on top of what some call SLAVE UNIT , each time you push the Brakes a little Rod works up and down that causes the Fluid to open the Brake Pads. Does anyone know what I can use for a """"PRESSURE FLUID TANK????? Would appreciate a Call 256-886-0557 also I found Parts for 25% at www.epsstore.com received in 4 days

  10. #10Tinkerer2013-07-03 07:55

    Any Auto Zone store near you should have a one man brake bleeder kit for less than $10.00. There is also a lot of information on the internet that describes how to make one using a common garden sprayer. Do a Google search for, "pressurized brake bleeding kit".