Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford Industrial LSG423 – no spark. is 10v too low?

gatorsby7 · 2019-10-11 11:15

I have a 1995 Genie Z45/22 with Ford Industrial LSG423. It has the DIS ignition. I have good battery, motor cranks, but no spark. I was trying to diagnose a start then die in a few seconds condition, but now I've lost spark. It has approx 10v at start module, ECM, coil, alternator excite wire, etc Is this too low to trigger a spark? I've been trying to chase the voltage drop, but wiring is difficult to access.

Replies5
  1. #1gatorsby72019-10-11 11:18

    forgot to add that I ohm tested the Crank Position Sensor and it tested fine.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2019-10-11 12:40

    Should be an OK voltage. What ignition control module does it have? I know something about this system but not everything.

  3. #3gatorsby72019-10-11 13:35

    ignition module is a 12A297 specifically, F5JL-12A297-BA

  4. #4TEX322019-10-11 15:23

    Unfortunetley, it looks as though you do have a module issue. And these are no longer available. There is an update kit for these. LRG 423 MODULE - UPDATE KIT (F5JL-12A297-AA)

  5. #5TEX322019-10-11 15:25

    To add to the above, low voltage will cause modules to let the smoke out of the box. I wouldn't perform any additional diagnosis until source voltage is at least 12.2v. Remember, 11.7 is considered a dead battery.