Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ford injector pump removal

dpittselectric ยท 2011-11-23 18:35

thanks for all the posts to try and help me with my injector problem. now i need to know how to remove the pump without creating reassembly problems.:

Replies6
  1. #1willie592011-11-23 21:39

    I assume you're referring to a Ford 455 you mentioned in another thread. However, you also stated it had a Perkins in it, which I've never seen before in a Ford. Can you verify this?

  2. #2mitch5042011-11-24 00:36

    I'm with Willie, I've worked on many Ford tractors, and was even service manager at a Ford tractor dealer many moons ago, and I am reasonably certain if that's a Perkins, it didn't leave the Ford factory. Massey-Ferguson tractors had Perkins engines, but Ford built there own. The main thing we need to know to answer your question on a Ford is: which injector pump do you have? The easiest way to tell is to see if your injector lines are in a straight line on top of the pump or if they are in a circular pattern on the end.

  3. #3dpittselectric2011-11-24 09:32

    injector pump removal i was going by misinformation on the engine being a perkins ,it is a ford and the injector lines are in a circular pattern ---cav i like both of the quotes on your posts

  4. #4willie592011-11-24 11:18

    Without being certain, I'm guessing this is the type of CAV pump you have. Fairly simple to remove. There's a round timing gear cover plate on front of engine, remove that cover plate to access timing gear retainer bolt #24 and remove bolt. At this point, note which hole in timing gear that dowel pin #23 is located in, mark that hole position with paint stick or something similar. Remove all fuel line connections. In some cases, pump can be removed while leaving injection lines still fitted to engine clamps, but in most cases they interfere with pump removal and therefore require removing injection line vibration clamps and removal from injectors, then injection lines can either be pulled out of the way or removed entirely. Also, I think this vintage engine used a gravity flow fuel supply, be sure and turn off fuel supply to prevent supply line flow. Lastly, the pump is fitted to engine with three bolts #20 going into slotted holes in pump housing. Very important, prior to removal of bolts, make a punch mark on edge of slotted hole seen in illustration, then a matching alignment punch mark on plate that pump is fitted to. That way you can re-install pump in exact location it was in prior to removal. Once you remove the three mounting bolts #20, pull pump from mounting. It may require screwing bolt #24 back into pump shaft a few threads and give head of bolt 24 a rap with a hammer to pop pump shaft loose from timing gear.

  5. #5bowen2011-11-24 20:09

    Is this bolt standard thread or is is a CW to loosen?

  6. #6willie592011-11-24 20:18

    It's been a long time since I've done one of those to be sure, but I don't think it's a left hand thread bolt.