Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford L7000 with Ford v636 Diesel?

colson04 · 2022-05-28 13:57

I'm looking for a dump truck again and stumbled on an L7000 with a V636 diesel. Is this just a rebadged 3208 Cat, because that's what it looks like. Is it worth bothering with? I'm looking at a single axle truck, not a tandem. Personal use, mostly just at my property, but would haul materials to my place as needed. Something cheap/budget friendly.

Replies12
  1. #1djhutt2022-05-28 14:11

    I have one in a 88 c8000. Everyone hates them but it has been reliable for the 25 years I had it fires right off at -10F smokes a little when cold but I wouldn't hesitate getting another.

  2. #2excavator2022-05-28 20:43

    A V-636 would be a Cat 1160 I believe. If I remember right the 1160 had an inline injection pump and the 3208 had a v type pump.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2022-05-28 21:37

    I liked them back in the day. Started easy enough, torquey and quiet. Since it is Cat, you will have the best chance of finding parts and service after all these years. Better on that front than a GM 8.2 or some other weird engine. I would buy it if it runs well and is what you need otherwise.

  4. #4Tyler d4c2022-05-28 23:05

    Talking down on the 8.2 we have one in a f700 that burns a gallon of coolant a day and uses lots of oil and starts on the coldest days and it just keeps on keeping on. Would definitely take a 3208 over it

  5. #5colson042022-05-28 23:10

    I'm considering it. Guy is asking $4000. I have not seen truck in person yet, but it's very close by and would meet my needs.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2022-05-28 23:22

    They’re no speed demons, that’s for sure.!! If u have to drive it on the hwy to get it home, you’ll see what I mean. But it might not matter to you, seeing it’s for personal use on the homestead..

  7. #7Birken Vogt2022-05-29 00:11

    One thing to consider is the horsepower. Being a 636 that means it is the full 10.4 liters, whatever it really is under the Ford label. That's good. They made smaller displacement versions as well. Non-turbo versions might have gone up to about 225 HP and turbo versions maybe 250. But they could be under 200 as well. If you could find a Cat serial number on it, it might be helpful.

  8. #8oarwhat2022-05-29 07:59

    Try and start it cold and make sure the guy didn't pre start it. We had an 1160 that smoked like it was on fire at startup. After warmed up it was ok. We would start it and hide until it warmed.

  9. #9John C.2022-05-29 10:43

    We had four of them at one place I worked. Had to put a long block in one and it smoked on startup no matter the ambient temperature. We called it the mosquito killer. There is an advance mechanism driving the fuel injection pump and I believe the problem was in that.

  10. #10colson042022-05-29 11:25

    I'll definitely check it over good and see how it starts cold. Given the budget, I'm not expecting a perfect and pristine rig. I'm just looking for sufficient enough to get my jobs done safely.

  11. #11crane operator2022-05-29 11:57

    All the 3208's I've been around started well in the cold. And smoked doing it. I think one would be fine in a small single axle dump. And there isn't much out there that runs and drives for $4,000. If you're wanting to use this for the business, the plates and insurance are going to be more expensive than the truck.

  12. #12Steve Frazier2022-05-29 12:33

    The 7000 has a lower GVWR than the 8000, just be sure it will be enough for your dump application.