Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ford LCF VS sterling bullet

minibin ยท 2008-01-07 20:28

Well the saga continues with the smaller truck purchase. I have been offered a good deal on a LCF 19,500. I have a Sterling Bullet (dodge 5500) with the same gvw with a deposit at their sister dealer. The deal is the lcf is work ready and priced well. Any thoughts on cabover vs sterling bullet/dodge 5500 which is like the F550 set-up wise. This is for a hooklift application and I am only considering 19,500 gvw truck for this purchase. Thanks Bret

Replies53
  1. #1bins2008-01-08 08:26

    Is the LCF any lighter in weight?

  2. #2Steve Frazier2008-01-08 10:27

    The LCF should be more maneuverable, but will have less power. The engine in the LCF is a V6 and makes only 200 hp and 440 ft lbs torque vs. the Cummins in the Sterling at 305 hp and 610 ft lbs. torque.

  3. #3minibin2008-01-08 19:19

    Steve, You are bang-on and I think that is going to make the biggest fifference in the end. It's like comparing apple and oranges. Theres alot to the story. I am thinking of moving from an Apliroll 90s to the Stellar flex36. This will increase my Ca from 84" to 108". I thought for the deal they were offering me and that the increase in overall length would be cancelld out by the cabover. but after talking through with the dealer and thinking exaclty what steve pointed out. I think I am going to go with the Sterling regardless of what hooklift I go with. I plan on towing a deckover trailer with a second bin so the extra horse power would be a plus and after driving the truck the factory engine brake seems to be a huge bonus. I also thinking the extra weight further over the front end is good, I have seen a few of those cabover's with the front end straight in the air, that being said I have had the front end off the ground with my international too. Funny that i went through this hole debate last year when I was getting into the business and a year into the business I still wrestle over which truck, how big, what market and which lift..... Seeing is how I am a one owner busines I am glad you guys are out there to help bounce some ideas off... Thanks.

  4. #4Steve Frazier2008-01-08 21:54

    I didn't know which would be more important to you. Both trucks would do the job, I think if i were choosing a chassis I'd take the Sterling too. I have a friend who belongs to a Dodge forum and the guys who are running this chassis are very happy with them, and the exhaust brake works great.

  5. #5bins2008-02-01 19:17

    Have you made up your mine yet MINI?

  6. #6minibin2008-02-01 23:29

    funny you should ask. Yes I went with the sterling bullet I just got the call that the hooklift is installed and it's off to Paint on monday. I'll post some proud pics next week. I decided to go with the smaller truck until i max out my small bin market and then I will add a bigger truck with the variable hook height and dedicate a driver to it. Here's two pics of the graphics we are working on. What do you think?

  7. #7woberlin2008-02-01 23:43

    Those are both great graphics! I prefer the first one.

  8. #8DBGoalie2008-02-01 23:56

    I also like the first graphic.

  9. #9Steve Frazier2008-02-02 02:33

    Make it three for the first one. Excellent design!

  10. #10bins2008-02-02 08:12

    I like the first one also.

  11. #11jazak2008-02-02 09:31

    I like the 1st graphic best. Is that a 4500 or 5500?

  12. #12minibin2008-02-02 09:52

    Thanks guys, I like the first one but the size of the logo seems to big for the truck. I will post the finished result this week. JAZAK> it's actually the sterling bullet same truck, built in the same factory as the dodge 5500. The only diifence to me was the front grill and the Stering dealer service is open until midnight vs dodge 5 or 6. Also the sterling service guys work on trucks that people dependon for a living vs minivan repairs. I test drive and I was sold, It rides stiff but it was a cab and chassis so we'll see when ther is some weight on it. I was very impressed with the factory engine brake and the "u-connect" hands free phone option. It works through the rear view mirror and stereo and increases the power if the is alot of ambient noise. Can't wait to move from my 97 international 5speed to this truck...

  13. #13cat3202008-02-02 10:53

    I like the first because it looks clean and crisp if any one understands what i'm thinking but I do like the second as far as how your name is on there becaue from far away you can make it out .So going down the road easier to spot and read name vs the first but the way the first is layed out with out all the darkeing all over the side of the body. So I guess what i'm saying is I like a combonation of the two I do like the metal ripping the bottom. so the name of the second with the lower meteal rtearing and singage anf the clean layout and grafic up the fender of the first .

  14. #14bobcat ron2008-02-02 11:11

    Ditto on the first one.

  15. #15minibin2008-02-02 13:10

    just got back from the shop, here's a pic > now it's off to paint. i will post some more next week.

  16. #1690plow2008-02-02 16:27

    If you dont mind me asking how much was it for the hook lift and install? I'm seriously considering one for our 650 instead of the straight dump body. IMHO I've seen alot of the graphics on trucks like you want to do BUT the problem is the name gets lost in the background when your driving or at a distance. Weve always gone simpler for that reason but if I had to chose it would be the first one no way would I cover a brand new paint job in vinyl esp when you go to resell it... -Eric

  17. #17minibin2008-02-02 22:01

    Eric, I'm in Canada so the pricing is different> I put a Ampliroll 90S which is a short WB (84CA) 13,000pd lift. You would be better to put a 20K lift on the 650. In Canada a 20k lift with fenders, lights, bumper and a toolbox would be aprox 26K. I purchased my first hooklift this time last year at Royal truck & Equipment in Coopersburg PA and drove it all the way across to the west coast. Remember that big storm last february>yep I drove through it all the way... I see alot of hooklifts on the eastcoast, royal truck sells alot and Hale Cole seems to do alot of them I think they are in New Jersey. Thanks for the feedback on the graphics. I am waiting to see what the 3rd version looks like. cat320> your right about ripping down the highway and not being able to read it, My bins are pretty clear and hopefully the offset the graphic. Here's a pic of the bins. Bye they way "bins" how are things for you? I found the first year hard. What am I saying it's almost been a year and It feels like I am just geting going.. Hope things are well!

  18. #18bins2008-02-07 07:06

    Got the truck back yet?

  19. #19minibin2008-02-07 10:45

    No Bins, now it's not until Monday.... you know how it goes, but we have made some more progress on the graphics. Here's the latest.

  20. #20Steve Frazier2008-02-07 11:23

    I still prefer the first version. This one looks like you've got a Briggs and Stratton flywheel guard stuck on your truck!

  21. #21DBGoalie2008-02-07 14:35

    That's funny, a Briggs and Stratton flywheel guard. I also like the first one best, but this latest one has some possiblities. Can you get your artist to draw something up that would look like diamond plate? I think that on a black background might look sharp.

  22. #22PETE3792008-02-07 16:19

    I like the first one also, the logo stands out more, youre deffinatley better off with the longer truck. It will help when picking up a box thats a little to heavy. I have a 335 pete with a swaploader thats been a little light in the front end a few times. Seems no matter what, everybody always seems to overload the boxes no matter what size they are. Swaploaders are great, you find so many different uses for it, BEST OF LUCK!

  23. #23cat3202008-02-07 16:37

    I still like the first with some influence from the second.you know they do have grafics for the rear windo that you can see thru and still see the name maby bigger on the rear.

  24. #24bins2008-02-07 18:00

    anyone going to wastexpo in chicago may 6-8. next year it is in VEGAS.

  25. #25greensrevice2008-02-16 13:08

    minibin is that a dual acting hook looks great love the truck

  26. #26mcabbage2008-02-16 13:12

    Mini Bins I noticed on the photos of your containers you have what apears to be plastic covers? Do you know a source to get those? I have only three containers so far 10/15/20 yds. and would like to cover the 10 yd. and maybe the 15 Thanks, Mike

  27. #27minibin2008-02-17 12:30

    greensrevice> no it's not a variable hook height , but the next truck is going to be the 20k variable hook. Mcabbage> these lids are great the 12 yard with the poly tops go out to the film industry for their catering truck garbage and the same for the solid metal tops. I like the solid metal tops because they also work for drywall to keep the weight down and other things from ending up in the bin. These tops were fabbed-up for me buthe the patrs come form somewhere i PA and another place in CA. I will look it up and send you the info tonight. I finally go got the truck last thursday, I will post some pics later today. Bret

  28. #28bins2008-02-17 21:55

    Waiting for those pics minibin.

  29. #29minibin2008-02-18 23:29

    Bins>here are some pics taken today. It's off to graphics on Wednesday. I will post some info on Tuesday night when I have the chance to sit down...My first impressions are good and My favorite is the Exhaust brake and U-coonect hands free system.. I will fill you in Tuesday night.. Bret PS Mcabbage> I will try to get that info on the container lids On tueday as well.

  30. #30PETE3792008-02-18 23:59

    Nice! Dont get it dirty! :drinkup

  31. #31bobcat ron2008-02-19 10:48

    All that shiny aluminum and white paint hurts my eyes!!!!!

  32. #32bins2008-02-19 22:05

    So how much does that thing weigh?

  33. #33minibin2008-02-26 11:19

    mcabbage> sorry to take so long to get this info for you . The lids are made by Container Components 8560 Lurline Street Chatsworth , CA 91311

  34. #34mcabbage2008-02-26 16:47

    Thank you Bret! I just got a mesh cover and handle today to make a roll up tarp system. I am going to fabricate something i can store on board the truck, so one cover will work with all containers, My Idea is to weld some short peices of pipe to the front top rail of my containers and then weld a little smaller diamiter pipe to the sides of the roll asembly then just clip them in when i need them. Someday when I start to do more cans I may buy a tarper system like Bins has, but for now will save the money. I really like the idea of the solid covers and will look into that for the future as well. Thanks again, Mike ps. I will post some pics when im done with that, I know im not to good at describing my ideas with a keyboard?

  35. #35minibin2008-03-02 13:30

    mcabbage > I do like the solid tops as well but as always theres good and bad. There expensive and it means you now have a menu of bins to offer which is alot to manage. Let us know how you make out with the options you are working on. The local supplier that makes my mesh tarps was talking about making a heavy vinyl top with stitched corners, but I am not convinced it would work as good>things like drainage, simplicity and of course loosing them or ripping them. I do like the idea of using them for any bin.... I get to it someday. Bins> I had a bin made with a movable divider to separate the loads. I just pick the position of the divider and set the pins. The customer the fills the bin with 3/4 demo and 1/4 drywall and i can dump them separatley. I havn't figured out a good price scheme yet. but my customers love it. I also had some bins made that are nestable. then I can deliver two at one time or if I tow the trailer I can leave the yard with four bins. I you want I will post some pics? I finally go the truck wrapped with graphics, its the "Briggs and Stratton fly wheel" as Steve F put it. It has got alot of attention and one good booking in just one day. Heres the pic

  36. #36minibin2008-03-02 13:36

    Bins> forgot to get you the weight. with a 15 yard bin, driver, loaded with fuel...it's 11,700 pounds that gives me approx 4 tonnes of payload (legal)

  37. #37bins2008-03-02 16:07

    I have thought about wrapping my truck but with all the tree limbs that I hit every day I dont know how long it would last.

  38. #38bins2008-03-13 19:38

    How is business minibin and everyone else in the roll off business?

  39. #39mcabbage2008-03-13 21:54

    Hi Bins, Dumpster business is just ok, not great not terrible. I really need to start getting creative with finding more dumpster work because i have not pushed it yet as im just starting out in that venture. It is the same with my carpentry business, Ive always been able to get plenty of work from referals but i really should be advertising. I guess Ive been lucky, there are a lot of guy's around my area that dont have any work. I have been looking into placing ads in the local papers and cant believe how much it cost! Mike

  40. #40minibin2008-03-14 01:44

    Hey Guys! Business is OK I am busier than some of the other guys out there but I got to say it's just OK. I am looking at ways to diversify and ways that I can control my bin demand by getting into contracting. Specifically hardscaping. I don't have the ultimate solution but I do believe I have the ultimate swiss army knife of trucks. As far as advertising I have found that I havn't got the response from our local papers. I get alot of low end goofs calling. The wrap has worked well for me and has seemed to help the apperance of me being a bigger company. This weekend I am building a billboard to put up on my local car wash and I am going to park a bin under it so people can see my product. I'll post some pics when I am done(next week). I am going to cancel my ad in the paper and try this for a few months. I am hoping the same people driveby everyday and one day the will call. I am trying the "weekend Special" price which will be my price minus the dump fee to make it seem cheaper So instead of 350/15yard it will be $249 WEEKEND SPECIAL (plus dump fees) I will let you know how it goes, but keep the ideas going. I could use the help! Bret

  41. #41bins2008-03-14 07:11

    Business is doing ok for me also. It has picked up but not enough. I will not be happy until I am getting out 15 cans a week. Right now I am getting out about 6 or 7 a week. I am going to have to order another truck load of 20s in the next couple of weeks b.c as of today I only have 1 available.

  42. #42Steve Frazier2008-03-14 09:30

    minibin, if the people in your area are anything like they are here, expect to be emptying that bin at the car wash on a regular basis. I know here it would fill quickly, it might be more trouble than it's worth.

  43. #43cat3202008-03-14 09:47

    truck looks good . as far as bussiness I think probably a good idea in that it will get your name out there and let people know who you are like steve said might be a pain in the behind but every container parked somewhere with your log is an ad. so you hussel around right now get your name out there then you can be competative with rates. I don't know who the big trash guys are out your way because you have to think alot of people all ready know them and call just because they see there trucks all over kinda the point i was trying to make with your bins all over .

  44. #44minibin2008-03-14 09:48

    Steve good point, but I am gong to put one of my bins with a solid top. ( see picture on page 2) That should slow them down. Bret

  45. #45cat3202008-03-14 10:10

    so how long is that wrap good for? before it starts to fade or peel . do you have to wax like regular car finish? can it be spliced if you had to get bodie work done?

  46. #46minibin2008-03-14 10:19

    They say five years so I am guessing 3 years. It's really thick, and it can be patched if I get body work. They say that when removed it will have proteced my paint = as new. If I get three years out of it I will have got my money's worth. 2600 / 36 months = $72 month Look on my competitors face priceless. 72 a month is cheap advertising, well have to see how it holds up. Bret

  47. #47cat3202008-03-14 10:35

    I think we paid a little less than that maybe around $2,200 back in '98-'99 for vinyl lettering on 3 sides of our cube van but it did not wrap all parts of the truck. interesting idea I have seen them around here but never talked to anyone who actualy had one done .I always thought it would harm the paint by not letting it breath . It does make your truck a one of a kind ad when driving by.

  48. #48bins2008-03-26 23:41

    If I had known that your setup could carry that much weight I would have went that route with 10's and 15's. I did pick up 1 20yd that had 9.5 tons in it but other then that everything has been under 4 tons minus the concrete jobs.

  49. #49bins2008-05-10 09:13

    What is your mpg?

  50. #50Coastal2008-05-13 00:49

    Hey! Ive seen your truck at the dump a few times! Looks great! How are you finding the market? We just picked up a second roll off truck, im going to alberta to pickup the rolloff system friday night.

  51. #51bins2009-03-15 17:04

    minibin how is business for you?

  52. #52ftb2009-12-21 19:26

    minibins how many miles do you have on your bullet? I have one and i love it! it only has about 6,000miles. have you had any machanical problems or and little annoying problems? I love the exhaust break!

  53. #53bins2010-08-08 15:00

    How is business for you now?