Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

International 4900

erthmover ยท 2008-01-07 22:31

Well, I've found another truck im interested in. Its a 1998 International 4900 7.6L DT466E with a 7 speed trans. , 10 foot alum. dump., only 50k miles, tires are in good shape, very clean and he's asking $30,000. What do you guys think about the price and specs.?

Replies3
  1. #1nedly052008-01-08 05:31

    Make sure that it has a good low rear end, the seven speed it notorious for not being the best dump truck trans. Most have a 4:30ish rear end gear, but a 5:38 or even better a 6:14 are a better rear end. Gives you a good low hole. Sounds like OK money, maybe a little high? Good Luck:my2c

  2. #2erthmover2008-01-08 19:59

    Thanks, I've been looking on and off for about a year. All I seem to find is old trucks that are beat and stuff thats almost new but nothing in between.

  3. #3Bob Horrell2008-01-08 22:27

    I had an earlier 4900 with the 466, 10 speed and 4:44 rear end. It was just right. I don't think I would have liked just a 7 speed. I used all gears when loaded, especially in the hills. Also the 466E (electronic version) is not as good a motor as the older mechanical ones. I looked for 6 months before I found the 4900 and I looked 7 months before I found the current Western Star I have. Both trucks turned out excellent for me so I guess it is worth the wait to find what you want.