I am looking for the proper procedures for removing the injector pump for a 3930. I have downloaded a manual that claims to cover it but includes the model in the beginning but does not mention it in the sections (and the models shown are definitely different.) The model I have is a 1998 or 99 which has a different engine than the earlier models. From what I have found so far, it is the Lucas/Delphi injector pump. Engine is 332T/JD. I'm looking for information on how to lock the engine in place once set in the correct position and if the mark is on the flywheel or pulley, and is there a mark on the pump itself and also any info on reinstalling to set the timing. Thanks.
My pump guy will put the pump back in the same place I took it off ask if they can do that just make sure you lock pump before removing
Right, I'm sure whoever I take the pump to for rebuild will do the same, but I need some info about removing it and how do you lock the pump?
there is a 10mm bolt on the side near where the pump bolts up loosen it then there is a steel shim like piece that you either take off or slide back se round cover o the 10mm bolt will tighten down all the way locking the pump. take the round cover off the front of the engine in front of the pump and between the lower radiator hose there are 3 bolts you take off of the gear disconnect lines wires and mounting bolts note where the pump is located on the back of the engine as the 3 mounting bolts are slotted
Thanks for the information, are there any timing marks or a certain position the engine needs to be in for pump removal?
Yes.. once u get to the pump gear bolts, look for an open screw hole.. That’s where a timing pin goes.. u can use the back end of a drill bit. It times at 6:00.. Pin the pump FIRST.. then the pump drive shaft.. Then break the drive bolts loose..
Dan, 1st.... welcome aboard! 2nd.... if you have had any time to peruse the "trove of info" on this site you should have come across 'ThePumpGuy'.... ..if you have not had time to use the search tools... then you now have the ear of one of this sites finest purveyors of info with regards to injection pumps.... ..and I might add.... a very able and reasonable rebuilder of IPs. You'll want to 'pick his brain'.... and make sure to take notes
Thanks everyone. I believe this is the information I need to get the job done. I'm going to check it out when I get off work. It will probably be another week or so before I have time to actually do it. I will report back if I run into more questions and to let you know I was successful.
im having issues with my injection pump also. i have a ls180 that runs real ruff but doesn't seam to blow any smoke. seams to run good with good power but it runs ruff enough that i know something is still wrong. I've replaced the injectors, compression tested it, and re timed it a number of times and it didnt change anything. is there a common problem that happens with these pumps that can be easily fixed or do they just need a complete rebuild. the prices that ive gotten from a few places seams a little steep
Your ahead of the game then.!! At least yours STARTS AND RUNS.!! 99.9% of the ones I get in for repair are completely rusted.. Where did you get the injectors.??
One guy I talked to from Atlanta said his local shop wanted 1300.00 JUST TO OPEN IT UP.!!
Hello Dan2002 When you get your pump off send it to the pumpguy. Don't waste your money elsewhere, he is the guy. He takes bad checks too, so no worries about the cost. Joe H
I got them through spencer diesel out of Iowa it sounds like pumps and injectors are all they do . They seamed to be very helpful and knowledgeable just really expensive but it seams like that pump is just expensive.
They do good work.. I was wondering if u gottm off the web which is HIGHLY questionable.. Those pumps ARE expensive to go thru.. not so much the labor but the parts.. The thing about the way I work is.. if it’s to expensive to build, I’ll tell ya and u can find a reman already done.. normally I won’t charge for an estimate but these things are a pain, so I charge a flat 100.00 to reassemble and ship it back.. or ship it to whoever u get the new pump from..(core)