Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Snow with the hoe. Awesome.

emmett518 · 2022-01-30 15:09

We finally got a decent amount of snow - 14 inches, so I used the hoe with an old Fisher 8 foot plow that I mounted to my forklift frame. I was a bit concerned that the backhoe would tear the lightweight Fisher apart, but I moved slowly, and everything worked fine. The TRYGG SMT Flexi tire chains were a miracle. One of the driveways that I have to plow is on a hill, and thanks to a misunderstanding with a family member, it didn't get plowed before the slush froze. As a result, the entire driveway is glare ice, four inches thick. The hoe with the Flexies on front and back climbed that driveway as if it was bare pavement. No tire spin, no traction issues, no slipping, even if I had a load of snow on. They aren't cheap, but I did find that White Mountain Chain's prices were half of any other dealer. They are heavy as hell, and tough to put on, but entirely worth it if you have to use your hoe in slippery conditions.

Replies16
  1. #1emmett5182022-01-30 15:15

    Pictures.

  2. #2Clawed Backster2022-01-30 15:22

    Those are some mean looking chains!

  3. #3cuttin edge2022-01-31 08:09

    Nice looking hoe. Would never be able to run those here. Too much pavement. Looks like they would take dog and go.

  4. #4Nicos2023-12-12 16:29

    Good afternoon Emmett, i have a 2016 JD 310 SL and want to put chains on the rear tires, the dealer told me i need to install a spacer plate to install chains on the rear cause of the clearance between the cab and the tire. Did you have to install the spacer plate or the TRYGG just fit right on.

  5. #5emmett5182023-12-12 17:53

    The chains will not clear the tractor, so you do need the spacers. I tried to find a machine shop to make them, as Deere charges an arm and a leg, but I failed. Ended up spending the money. They come with extra long lugs, so you need a tool to push the old ones out, and push the new ones in. That tool runs about $250 on Amazon. The spacers work nicely.

  6. #6Nicos2023-12-12 21:35

    Thanks Emmett. Much appreciated. I called the dealer and yes they are steep in price. We get lots of snow here so when I am trying to push in 4x4 the front wheels want to lift of the ground. Have chains on the front but would like them on the back also. Thanks again for your info.

  7. #7BC Placer gold2023-12-13 15:49

    We carry 2 sets of Trygg 8mm triples for our truck; they look tame compared to those! Can imagine those would be really heavy…. Great setup for plowing!

  8. #8Vetech632023-12-13 15:58

    Whatever happened to screwing lag screws into the lugs like back in the good ole days?

  9. #9cuttin edge2023-12-13 18:31

    Get used to steering with your brakes. Seen a lot of guys going with the front wheels off the ground, and the wheels turned hard one way, then as soon as they fetch up, they're into the side of something.

  10. #10Nicos2023-12-13 18:38

    Thanks for the advice

  11. #11JL Sargent2023-12-14 15:06

    That is one badass set of chains, I do know that!

  12. #12Nicos2024-01-08 11:51

    Good morning Emmett and happy new year. Were the spacer that you bought for your backhoe loader 2” thick?

  13. #13Tinkerer2024-01-08 14:16

    From the John Deere parts book. 2 - Equally Spaced Holes Spacer​ Part Number T236775 Qty Req 2 Remarks 55 mm (2.16 in) Check the book yourself to garuntee acuracy .

  14. #14Nicos2024-01-08 16:04

    Thank you for the info

  15. #15Tinkerer2024-01-09 07:03

    Here is a link to the parts book. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/65183

  16. #16emmett5182024-01-09 18:03

    Yes.