I have a early 70's 4500 tlb shuttle in good condition with trans issues I can live with, starts extremely easy, runs great. My problem is the hydraulics on the backhoe are weak. I've bought the books and am going to try to hook up a pressure gauge tomorrow to see what the pressure is. It will lift the tractor up but not pull itself back with the hoe. It is either the system bypass or the pump I guess. The only tractor mechanic we had up in the foothills lost his battle with cancer. I would pull the backhoe off to get to valves or pull the pump but both are a big job and I would like to diagnose it first. I pulled the system relief valve out trying to remove acorn nut and tried to adjust it but it was really tight and without knowing the pressures I didn't want to risk it. All the hydraulic levers make the same noise in bypass mode and the vibration is all over making it seem like it is up front in the pump or in the back in the hoe or the loader valve. Any ideas or suggestions thanx steve
Definitely start with a pressure check. I think the main relief should be about 1500, I'll look tomorrow if I remember
4500 were bad about the screen/filter plugging up from packing from seals,,, its located in the hyd oil tank in suction line going to the pump,usually the pump will make whining sound if screen is plugged
jimg984 is on to something i used to have a l785 new holland skid steer it got to the point were my hydraulics were slow and i had no pushing power i pulled out the screen filter under the seat cleaned out the nasty crud inside and it felt like a new skid steer
I didn't think to mention I had drained the oil and changed filter and cleaned screen, cut filter and found no metal/crud in it. sorry steve