I run a property caretaking business and I'm finding out that I need a backhoe. It won't be used as excavation full time, just as needed. I found a 1999 John deere 310 SE for sale. Couple cylinders are weeping, has 4300 hours on it. Drove and operated it, everything works, pivot bearing is tight. Price is $22,000. It's not perfect but I think it'll do. Does this seem to be a good deal? Also, while running I took the oil fill cap off and checked for blow by. I felt air coming up with my hand, but I didn't see haze, or oil. Should this be a deal breaker? Thank you!
Here is the listing
Looks good. I sold a 91 410C 2600 hours for $20300. this summer.
So sounds like this one is over priced if you sold yours for 20k? What do you think about the air coming up through the oil fill cap? Thanks
Some blow by is normal, I'll leave it to others better qualified to address engine condition. Mine was full cab, extend a hoe, quite tight machine, lower hours, bigger, but 8 years older.
A little blow by is normal. Now if smoke is coming out and oil is spraying, it may be excessive.
Okay. Yeah this one is full cab, heat and extend a hoe also. Okay thank you for the help!
I just felt air not smoke or oil
Sounds good to me
Have someone inspect it for you. So, there isn’t any mystery.
4 wheel drive? I paid around 24k for my 2004 New Holland a couple years ago, with similar hours and features.
I nearly bought a John Deere 450C dozer. I had a friend who knows machinery well go with me to haul it & look it over. He ran it at high idle a good deal longer than I would have, got the engine good & warm. Smoke started coming out of the winch. It was no simple task, but we found a hose run from the crankcase vent to the winch. A significant amount of smoke was coming out. While searching for the source of smoke, we discovered the cast iron transmission case had been welded. I told the seller "no thank you."
Also, don't forget all machine, regardless of brand are at a premium these days!! That is not likely to change soon as the supply chain is kinked. Looks like a decent machine. Many on here have similar machines with excellent results. The SE model has some goodies the standard model does not, so that could be worth some $$. The cylinders will have to be rebuilt, eventually...personally I would do them sooner, as they are wasting oil and have to potential to leak worse as time goes on, on a jobsite, and that is not good in todays world. So you must figure the cost of those rebuilds, which could be reasonable if you are doing it, of a bit more if you are having them done. I am not an expert on this machine, however, I have been reading problems on this forum with these machines for some time. I don't recall a bunch of engine problems. In fact, many of these machines have a lot more hours and are running fine...The key though, is how they were taken care of. Does the owner have repair records that he would show you? If you have not asked, I would. Chances are, he has them, and you can find out how well the machine was taken care of. I know the listing says firm, but if you went there with $21k, he may take that. I would at least try, if you really like it. BTW...there really isn't a perfect used machine. You need to find one that is in decent shape at a decent price, and understand that we all have to make some repairs when we purchase used equipment.
Crankcase pressure is a normal byproduct of a internal combustion engine. Some may be evident at a removed oil cap. Excess pressure can be as simple as a clogged PCV or as extreme as worn piston rings. Sounds like the pressure you see could be normal but not having OUR hands and eyes on it disqualifies us from making a determination. At the very least I would identify and service the PCV system. A simple clogged vent can result in blown seals that become very expensive.
I agree with Swets on repairing the leaks. Using the machine for commercial on other people's property you will want to keep the oil IN the machine.
The heart of that machine is the transmission, not the engine. A reman trans is $14,000.00 and an engine is $5000.00. I'd be going over that trans with a fine tooth comb. I would get that machine good and hot and make sure the trans holds up. Does it shift well between gears? Trans fluid at proper level and look good? Parking brake release quickly when button pressed? Of did it take a couple of seconds indicating there might be a weak charge pump present. A small amount of blowby is acceptable when engine is good and hot (at operating temp). If it blows like a coal fired steam engine, rings may be gone. Caveat Emptor.
Thank you guys for the helpful replies! Unfortunately the seller sold it this morning before I could drive over with the cash. I'm pretty disappointed but I'll keep on the search! May be posting more machines on here in the future!
Don't sweat it...I looked at several before it worked out. In hind site, I am glad I did not get the others because the one I did get is awesome...the right one will come along!
Your right another one will come along. Everyrhing happens for a reason!