Hey all! Brand new to the site and looking for some help. I've been browsing the site looking for an answer as to why my 1960's 530 is popping out of the forward and reverse gears. Has the shuttle shift with 4 speed and the high/low. I've seen a few threads but not a final answer on what causes this. The forward and reverse will both stay when held in place by hand and seem to stay on their own at lower RPM. Everything else works great. Shift fork isn't bent and seems to be same size as the bushing on the gears, so not really seeing any slop to it. Looking for where to go next, seems mechanical to me in an adjustment of some sort since it will stay when held, so gearing meshing appears ok. Have seen the shop manual but doesn't offer much help other than a picture, a feeler gauge setting at the back of the shift fork spacer, and a spring compression psi (unknown how to check that one). I know lots have had this problem but threads seem to ramble and lose track for an answer. So.. Anyone have any insight to throw out for me? Thanks!
Welcome to HEF; it sounds like the synchronizer for forward and reverse is bad the brass rings are probably broken.
Have seen that mentioned in a few threads. Will have to check more closely in the morning, they looked ok, still same size as the steel one next to it. If it was broken, would that not change the diameter of the brass ring and therefore not even allow it to go into gear? I can slide the gear selector ring back and forth by hand fairly easily to reverse-neutral-forward positions and it seems to be about the same travel as what the fork would put it at. Was wondering if this is as simple as the detent ball and spring being weak. Noticed in the transmission section of shop manual a description of the ball and spring being there to keep from jumping out of gear. Thinking same principle applies. Dunno on that one. Thoughts?
So, after digging around a bit in the shuttle box of both the backhoe and the spare parts loader. I have found that indeed the synchro is screwed up. However, it's not so much the brass rings but the actual gears themselves. It wasn't until I got the phone in there for a picture to enlarge, and then seeing the difference on the parts loader gears, that I was able to see how bad this really was. The cover with the shifter levers really has no adjustment other than the size of spacer you use. So any forward/reverse kickouts will be for sure related to synchro's somehow. Maybe the brass rings being busted, worn teeth on gears or brass ring, but definitely look there first. Looks like repair for new on the gears and the brass rings will be about 750 plus whatever the shipping will be. Lucky for me I think I can swap out the parts tractors gearing and be good for my rust-or-ration, to me looks like lots of life left in them. See if I can get some pics uploaded so people can see what decent teeth and bad teeth look like for comparison.
I would appreciate those pictures if you could. I have almost the same issue except mine only pops out of low going forward. It is fine in reverse but will pop out instantly in forward low
The half decent versus the chewed forward Hera's.
Hera's? Supposed to say gears...lol
Here's the reverse gears. Same kind of look to them.