Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Found a D5 96J sitting 17+ years, engine issues, needs segments.

Bob Cowdery · 2022-04-14 09:13

An older gentleman has a D5 96J. Hour meter on pump shows 1177 hours. I know the gentleman and his family. His nephew believes it was purchased new or next to new. I believe this to be true. Has been sitting 17+ years , they thought it blew a head gasket. It has 9' straight blade with power tilt, power shift trans, no winch, growsers good, rails good, some wear on bushings but not bad. Just assuming the engine needs a complete overhaul. Owner says machine weights 26,000. He used to haul it with a tandem GMC with 427 and a tag trailer. Price is $5000. which I think is far. As with my post track loader forum about my 977H. All POSITIVE comments and suggestions welcome.

Replies22
  1. #1Check Break2022-04-16 15:04

    Not sure what "good" means as it means different things to different people. You'll have to scale the UC to figure out what's left. If you're sure about the PS transmission, open up the screen/filter housings and take some pictures. If it has the 3306, no unusual metal in the trans filter/screen and the UC is 75%, it's cheap. If the D333 and same condition, not as good but still doable at $5K.

  2. #2Bob Cowdery2022-04-16 15:37
  3. #3Nige2022-04-16 15:44

    It's obviously been re-engined at some point. It was orignally built with a D333. I was thinking 1177 hours couldn't possibly be right but for the hours on the replacement engine - maybe it is.

  4. #4Bob Cowdery2022-04-16 15:50

    Tractor serial number is 96J6072. OhioCat told me it is a 1976 model.

  5. #5DMiller2022-04-16 15:54

    Or could it possibly just quit, these were never the best meters for remaining functional. Segments show many more hours than 1200, cannot tell if just cracked peeling paint or busted block in that s/n shot. Grousers and shoe meet ups as well dry pin rail sections look relatively recent to last use as close to new, that upper roller is not badly worn either, sprocket segments are the curiosity. Nose looks to have been beaten HARD.

  6. #6Bob Cowdery2022-04-16 16:05

    Segments are worn. Out to a sharp point. Not bending over yet, you can feel wear on the bushings. The owner worked for Peabody Coal at Broken Arrow until it closed then Central Ohio Coal. He and one brother had an excavating business, plus they both worked the family farm with the third brother. I think the nose damage was from grubbing fence line trees. Which is what it was doing when it developed head issues. The family is very well respected and trusted in the community.

  7. #7DMiller2022-04-16 16:08

    Still well worth grabbing up, at $5k, maybe not, for less than 3500 probably.

  8. #8Bob Cowdery2022-04-16 16:12
  9. #9Bob Cowdery2022-04-16 16:17

    Current scrap price local is $300 per ton unprepared. With all fluids drained. Book says 26,000 guessing that is just the tractor without blade. $4000+ just scrap value.

  10. #10DMiller2022-04-16 16:24

    Scrap Here still below $200/t Prepping takes time and gas axe juice, have to figure that into costs to make $4k

  11. #11Bob Cowdery2022-04-16 16:38

    If I haul it as is less the fluids $300 ton. They cut it up I have hearing some places pushing $400 unprepared. A lot of history will be lost at these high scrap prices.

  12. #12Jonas3022022-04-16 17:53

    Does it still turn over? You very well might get by with less than a complete overhaul

  13. #13Acoals2022-04-16 20:30

    What is cracked in the third picture down? Looks almost like an intake runner? Or is that a crack at all?

  14. #14John C.2022-04-16 21:56

    Looks like a broken block to me. Front idler is to the end of the track frame and the sprockets teeth are sharp. Looks like someone swapped a set of used tracks on. 13 tons times $300 is $3,900 and you haven't even moved the items yet. Doesn't sound like a money making proposition to me.

  15. #15.RC.2022-04-16 22:00

    I think what looks like a "cracked block" is a shadow from the oil filler tube.

  16. #16Nige2022-04-16 22:04

    That (from the 3rd photo) looks very much like a crack to me, biut I'm not there. Or as R.C. said, is it a shadow caused by the oil filler tube.?

  17. #17Check Break2022-04-16 23:59

    I think she's late enough to have been built with a 3306. I'm having a hard time with the UC. Segments are scrap, chains are probably 0%, pads look good (grouser, leading and trailing edges) and the rollers don't appear to be hitting the pin bosses. If you need something that size and are up for the gamble, she'll probably be ok. Replace the segments and you can squeeze another 50% out of the chains on flat ground. The 3306 parts should be cheap. We scrapped a lot of them when we switched to the C12 and C13 because they had no value. That block doesn't look cracked to me. Looks more like an oil trace, but then my vision isn't what it once was.

  18. #18Bob Cowdery2022-04-17 11:52

    Where in the world do you find undercarriage component wear dimensions. I can find how to check but not the actual dimensions.

  19. #19John C.2022-04-17 11:55

    Cat puts out books on that. I have their Custom Track Service 12th edition. I think they are up to the 17th edition by now.

  20. #20Bob Cowdery2022-04-17 12:41

    There are 2 different rail dimensions. Where do i find the track code? Tractor serial number 96j6072. 7t 4539 and 40 or 3p 153 and 54? Finding information on the interweb is like pull elephant teeth with tweezers.

  21. #21Bluox2022-04-17 12:44

    The only thing on that under carriage not wore completely out is the track pads. Bob

  22. #22Nige2022-04-17 13:11

    Google “Custom Track Service Handbook”. I believe one of the results that pops up allows you to download the latest 17th Edition.